[184] Backstab

In the midst of the chaos and devastation, there was a sudden shift. Elandra, locked in fierce combat with Death, her light magic brilliantly illuminating the desolation around her, had been just about to strike the final blow. Her eyes blazed with an intense determination, her wavy golden hair swirling around her as if caught in an ethereal wind.

But before she could, there was a blur of movement, and an all-too-familiar figure emerged from the shadows, his aura swirling with hues of blue and white. Asus, the demon prince of temptation, stepped forward. His ice-blue eyes held a strange mixture of regret and resolve as he gripped his rapier tightly.

The weapon, pulsating with the same ethereal blue and white energy as its wielder, struck like a lightning bolt. It sliced through the air, its trajectory unwavering and precise. Elandra barely had time to turn, her eyes widening in shock as she felt the blade pierce her back, cold and biting.

She gasped, her light magic flickering momentarily, her golden eyes meeting Asus'. His own gaze was filled with an enigmatic sadness, an apology that was not quite an apology. He had broken his promise, siding with the demon king once more.

The battlefield fell silent at this betrayal, the united forces watching in disbelief as their powerful ally was betrayed by one they thought to be on their side. The balance of the fight had been shifted, and the ramifications of this act were yet to be seen.

Choking back the pain that was threatening to overwhelm her, Elandra managed to spit out a ragged response, blood pooling at the corners of her mouth. "Should've... let you rot... in that cell!" Her golden eyes blazed with a furious intensity, her fists clenched tightly as she glared up at the traitorous prince.

Asus merely responded with a serpentine smirk, his icy-blue eyes devoid of any remorse. "Don't blame me, dear," he said in a soft, taunting voice, flicking a stray lock of hair from his eyes as he gazed down at her. "Blame him." He nodded in the direction of the battlefield, where Wang-Yi-Fei was still locked in fierce combat with the demon king.

A hoarse, ragged chuckle echoed through the battlefield as Death, hunched and weary, managed to push himself up from the ground. "Thank you, my prince," he rasped, his hollow voice echoing with a twisted sense of gratitude.

Asus turned his gaze towards the weakened entity, his smile never wavering. "You can rest for now," he said, the chilling calmness in his voice adding an eerie quality to the chaotic scene. "I will take it from here."

His words hung heavily in the air, a bitter promise of the battle that was yet to come. The united forces could only watch in stunned silence, their hopes dwindling with each passing second as their enemy found a new strength in their traitorous ally.

Q: Did you see the twist coming?