[65] The first floor

The gateway into the first floor of the Abyss was a momentous threshold, framed with towering stone pillars encrusted with luminous fungi that cast a muted, ethereal light on the pathway. We stepped forward and the chatter of the crowd and the crisp open air outside fell away, replaced by a deafening silence and a sense of profound isolation.

The first floor of the Abyss sprawled out before us in a cavernous expanse. A high vaulted ceiling stretched overhead, adorned with hanging stalactites that glittered like diamonds in the soft glow of phosphorescent flora. Luminescent vines crept along the stone walls, painting them in a mosaic of blues, greens, and purples. The air was cool and moist, carrying the musky scent of earth and the subtle hint of something metallic – the echo of battles fought and the promise of those yet to come.

The ground was a shifting tapestry of rugged stone, smooth pebbles, and patches of pale moss. Here and there, the remains of ancient, petrified trees jutted from the ground like skeletal fingers reaching for the surface far above, a grim reminder of a time when this realm wasn't buried beneath layers of rock and dirt.

In the distance, the cavern split into various tunnels, each veering off into an abyss of darkness and uncertainty. The paths wound and twisted out of sight, a labyrinth waiting to be explored. We could hear the faint sounds echoing from these tunnels - the dripping of water, the distant clatter of rocks, and an eerie undercurrent of whispers, as if the Abyss itself was alive and breathing.

And then there was...People. Lots and lots of people.

Most of them were just standing there and posing, as a magic portrait hovered in front of them, with a paint brush that painted on its canvas all by its own.

Unimpressed by the mild spectacle of the first floor, I gave a signal and we made our way toward the pathway leading to the second floor. The initial monsters we encountered were only F-tier - mainly small, scuttling creatures with minimal threat level. Despite their menacing appearance, with their spindly limbs and gnashing teeth, they were far from a match for us.

The first floor was indeed bustling with adventurers, but the majority seemed more focused on the scenery than the creatures lurking within it. Laughter echoed throughout the cavernous space as groups of adventurers posed for pictures with the low-tier monsters, and vendors sold snacks and memorabilia at makeshift stalls.

"I expected more from the Abyss." Sera's voice was tinged with disappointment as she swatted away a bold creature that had come too close.

The festive atmosphere felt somewhat incongruous in such a supposedly perilous place, and I shared Sera's sentiment. The real challenge, I knew, lay further below. We continued our journey, descending deeper into the Abyss, leaving the casual adventurers and the faux-dangerous F-tier monsters behind us. As we navigated through the labyrinthine tunnels, the noise from the first floor began to fade, replaced by an ominous silence that seemed to amplify the sense of anticipation among us.

Soon, we stood at the precipice of the second floor, the ominous darkness in front of us promising a more daunting adventure than the touristic spectacle we had left behind.

Q: Have you ever been in a large cave before?