[30] Cat tails

The local tavern, Cat tails, was a bustling hub of activity. Despite the hour, it was filled with people from all walks of life - adventurers still clad in armor, commoners enjoying their midday meals, and even a couple of city officials engaged in hushed conversation in the corner. The building was made of sturdy oak, stained dark to give it a rustic look. The scent of roasted meats and strong ale filled the air, mingling with the noise of laughter and casual chatter. Sturdy tables and chairs dotted the establishment, with a large counter at the back where the barkeep served drinks with a professional smile.

A grand fireplace dominated one wall, its fire crackling and popping as it bathed the room in a warm glow. Above the hearth hung a massive, well-polished boar's head, a symbol of the owner's adventurous past. Behind the bar, the wall was adorned with a vast collection of mugs, bottles, and glasses - all containing various types of liquors, from the common to the exotic.

Standing up, I clinked my newly bought sword against my glass to attract the attention of the boisterous crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please?" I began, raising my voice over the din of the tavern. The room quieted down gradually as curious eyes turned towards me.

"I have a proposition for anyone interested." I continued, tossing a bag of gold into the air and catching it. The soft chime of coins inside instantly drew the attention of the entire room.

"I'm looking for information about a certain thief, one that stole a jewel worth a hefty sum. Now, I'm not a man of means like the one who lost the jewel, but I've got 10 gold pieces for anyone who can provide me with useful information that leads me to this thief."

I let the bag of gold land on the table with a thud, the sound echoing in the now silent room. The glitter of gold and the promise of easy money had captured everyone's interest.

"And remember, my friends," I said, leaning back casually in my chair, "Your identities will be kept secret. No need to worry about any form of retribution."

For a moment, the room stayed silent. Then, the patrons of the tavern started murmuring among themselves, some looking thoughtful, some looking greedy, and others looking downright suspicious. With luck, someone in this room knew something, and that 10 gold would be incentive enough to loosen their tongues.

As the room burst into excited chatter, a crowd quickly formed around our table.

An old elf, his eyes cloudy with age, leaned in first. "I've heard whispers," he started, his voice as creaky as an old door hinge, "that the thief uses the sewers as a pathway. They're dark, winding, and an absolute maze if you don't know where you're going."

I nodded, silently tucking away the information, then a burly orc, his muscles bulging under a layer of grime, grunted. "Folk say the thief is no ordinary one. Has the ability to disappear into thin air, they do. Might be some kind of magic."

"Thank you," I responded, before a lean human woman, her face hidden under a hood, chimed in. "Heard a name being tossed around," she said, her voice a hushed whisper, "9 Lives."

The crowd murmured at that, some in fear, some in awe.

A one-eyed dwarf, ale in hand, spoke next. "The thief has a mark, a tat right here," he pointed to his forearm, "a black snake coiled around a dagger. I've seen it with me own eye, I swear."

"Thank you, everyone," I said, raising my mug in a toast, "Your assistance is invaluable." And with that, I turned to Sera and Lila, a new lead burning in our quest.

"Hey, you," a tall, rugged man with a scraggly beard beckoned me over from where he was leaning against the tavern wall. His armor was dented in places, a clear sign of an adventurer who had seen his fair share of battles. His companions, a lithe elf and a stocky dwarf, were similarly attired. All three bore the mark of a B-rank adventurer.

"I heard you're on the hunt for the thief, the 9 Lives?" the man questioned, a calculating look in his eyes.

"That's right," I responded, my eyes narrowing slightly.

The man glanced at his companions, an unspoken understanding passing between them. "We could show you to the thief's hideout," he suggested, his gaze flickering between the gold pouch on my belt and my face. "100 gold and we take you there."

I didn't hesitate. We needed a lead, and this was as good as any. "Deal," I responded, handing him the gold.

The adventurers seemed pleased, their expressions turning into smug grins. "Right this way," the man said, leading us through the bustling streets and into the mouth of a dark, narrow alley.

As we followed the adventurers deeper into the alley, the noise of the city slowly faded, replaced by the low hum of silence. The path twisted and turned, plunging further into a labyrinth of shadows and uncertainty.

"So this is the hideout?" I asked.

"No, this ain't the hideout," the rugged adventurer from before replied, his voice echoing ominously down the alleyway. His scraggly beard split into a wide grin, revealing crooked teeth.

His companions laughed, a chilling sound that raised the hairs on the back of my neck. They moved into formation, blocking off any chance of retreat, their eyes gleaming menacingly under the dim light.

My hand instinctively drifted to the hilt of my new sword, a grim sense of anticipation settling in my gut. "What's your game?" I asked, keeping my voice steady.

"Game?" the bearded adventurer repeated, a dark chuckle escaping him. "No game, lad. Just a simple choice." His gaze fell on Sera and Lila, a dangerous glint in his eyes. "Leave the lasses here, or hand over the rest of your gold."

"And if I refuse?" I responded, my fingers tightening around the hilt of my sword.

His grin widened, baring his teeth in a wolfish display. "Then, lad," he said, unsheathing his massive axe, its blade reflecting the dull light. His companions drew their weapons as well, the sound of metal scraping against leather echoing through the silence of the alley. "We'll just have to take both."

When will they learn?...

Q: Have you been to a bar before?