[57] Buying a ride

The 3 of us, me, Sea and Kuroko arrived at the flying ship docks of Wyndham. From the top it looked no different then a regular shipping dock, except you replace the sea with air. And from the bottom it looks like a massive tree, with wooden piers spreading out in all directions like branches in a tree. In order to get to the top of the flying docks, one must climb the spiral stairs of the main spire to reach the top. Of course, one can just take the easy way up with the magical elevator at it's center. The 3 of us choose to use the magic elevator, which they charged us 10 gold for.

The moment we stepped off the elevator, a flashy man in an expensive-looking suit greeted us as we entered the flying shipyard, his eyes instantly drawn to our fancy attire. "Ah, distinguished guests! Welcome to Jorgenson's Sky-Liners. I'm Ralston, the owner," he greeted, extending a well-manicured hand.

"Today, we have three fine models available that might catch your interest." Ralston led us through the sprawling shipyard, and we marveled at the various ships docked around us.

He pointed to the first ship, a streamlined vessel with a matte black hull. "This is the Pegasus. Built for speed and agility. Perfect for quick getaways and a favorite among explorers. It comes with an engine powered by high-grade wind magic crystals. It is sleek, quiet, and fast."

Next, he led us to an imposing ship that looked more like a fortress than a vessel. "This is the Gaia, a heavy-duty ship designed for battle. It has an ironwood hull infused with earth magic for protection and can withstand most conventional attacks. It's slower than Pegasus, but it has a far greater payload and can accommodate a small army."

Lastly, he showed us a magnificent ship with an elegant design and a silver hull that sparkled in the sunlight. "And this, my friends, is the Celestial. It's a luxury ship meant for comfortable travel. Its enchantments provide a smooth ride regardless of the weather. It has large cabins, a fully equipped kitchen, a bathhouse, and even a small garden. It's not as fast as the Pegasus, nor as resilient as the Gaia, but it offers comfort and style."

Ralston's eyes gleamed as he showcased the three ships, clearly proud of the inventory. "So, which one of these beauties catches your fancy?" he asked, eagerly awaiting our response.

I pointed to a different flying ship that caught my attention. The ship was grander and more majestic than the rest. It had an air of antiquity to it, yet seemed to possess state-of-the-art technology.

"Oh, an eye for the extraordinary, I see," Ralston commented with a chuckle. His eyes followed my pointing finger and then widened, a surprised smile blooming on his face. "Ah, that one there is the white phoenix. An old design, but it has seen numerous upgrades. It combines the speed of the Pegasus, the resilience of the Gaia, and the comfort of the Celestial."

He guided us towards the white phoenix. As we got closer, the ship's detailing was even more awe-inspiring. Its hull, a blend of mithril and dragon bone, shimmered under the sunlight, and its sails bore intricate patterns of mythical creatures and cosmic scenes.

"The white phoenix is a legendary vessel," Ralston continued, "Its enchanted hull is virtually indestructible, and its powerful engine can rival the speed of any modern ship. It has commodious cabins, a grand dining area, a well-equipped kitchen, and a magical greenhouse."

He paused to let us take in the full beauty of the ship before turning back to us, "However, I must warn you, a ship like this doesn't come cheap. The white phoenix is priced at 10 million gold coins."

He watched our reactions closely, looking for any sign of interest or hesitation. "So, what do you say? Is the white phoenix the ship you have been looking for?" Ralston asked, his eyes reflecting the hopeful glimmer of a successful sale.

As I reached into my void pocket, Sera, Kuroko, and the dealer watched me with intense curiosity. The moment I pulled out the giant gemstone, their eyes widened in astonishment.

The Gaia Shard, a gem of immense value and rarity, shone brilliantly under the sunlight. Its ethereal glow reflected off their stunned faces, painting the surroundings in a surreal light. The shard was a perfect fusion of myriad colors, making it a sight to behold.

Sera was the first to break the silence, letting out a low whistle. "You never cease to surprise, Chang," she murmured, a faint smile playing on her lips. She was used to my surprises by now, but this gem, this symbol of immense wealth and power, seemed to take her breath away for a moment.

Kuroko, on the other hand, stared at the shard with wide-eyed wonder, her usual composure momentarily forgotten. "Where did you even get this, Chang?" she asked in amazement, her voice barely a whisper.

But it was the dealer who had the most pronounced reaction. He gaped at the Gaia Shard, his eyes almost bulging out of his sockets. His gaze kept darting from the shard in my hand to my face, clearly struggling to make sense of what he was seeing.

"I-I must admit, sir," he stammered, finally finding his voice, "I've never... I mean, Gaia Shards are practically unheard of. This... this is worth far more than 10 million indeed!"

He reached out hesitantly, as if asking for permission to inspect the shard. "If... If this is your offer, then I'd be a fool to decline," he said, still clearly in shock.

There was a tense silence as he waited for my confirmation. The wind picked up, rustling the sails of the white phoenix in an impatient murmur, as if the ship itself was eagerly waiting for its new master.

Sera crossed her arms, her brows furrowed in a playful frown. "You sure love giving orders, don't you?" She retorted, her voice laced with a hint of jest. However, the spark of excitement in her eyes betrayed her apparent indifference.

"You'd better take care of things here, boss," she added, wagging her finger at me in mock warning. "We don't want any hitches when we set sail."

Despite her words, Sera was already turning away, her steps light and springy, almost as if she couldn't contain her excitement. Her usual tough demeanor seemed to soften a bit at the prospect of a new adventure.

I merely grinned in response, watching as Sera disappeared in the distance, her new elegant dress billowing behind her. The thought of seeing Lila and Aurelia's reactions to our new acquisition brought a sense of anticipation. With the Phoenix, our journey was about to take a thrilling turn.

"Rest assured, Sera," I muttered under my breath, "I can't wait to set sail either."

Q: Do you know how to drive a boat?