[106] We saw evil, we came after evil, we conquered evil

The next day, we were at the public guild hall of Erindale. There was incessant murmur of adventurers around the news stand, we gathered around a crinkled copy of the morning's newspaper that was sprawled open on the wooden table of the bustling guild hall. The glaring headline of Maroth's unexpected demise stared back at us, inciting a varied range of emotions within our group.

Sera, a fiery flame wrapped in a cool shell, seemed torn between satisfaction and disappointment. She crossed her arms tightly and muttered, "Just like that jerk to take the easy way out, huh?" Her voice held an unmistakable note of bitter vindication.

Kuroko, ever the daredevil, let out a sharp laugh, her lips curling into a reckless grin. "Talk about an anticlimax!" she said, twirling her dagger between her fingers. "Was hoping to see him squirm more."

Aurelia, ever-so-stoic and proud, folded the newspaper dismissively. "So, the coward finally got his dues," she scoffed, her fiery eyes ablaze with victory, though a smidgen of dissatisfaction showed through. "And here I was, looking forward to roasting him myself."

Lila, soft-spoken and gentle, wore a conflicted expression. She looked at the picture of the fallen Maroth, her violet eyes sad and thoughtful. "It's... it's for the best," she murmured quietly, her voice barely audible, almost as if she were trying to convince herself.

While the girls each expressed their emotions, I looked at the article one more time, my gaze analytical and unreadable. The details of Maroth's death felt too clean, too convenient. As if it was staged.

"I'm not so sure about this," I voiced out, drawing the attention of the girls. "His death... it feels... off." The suspicion etched in my voice hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the seeming victory.

"What do you mean, Chang?" Lila asked, her voice filled with curiosity and concern.

"Something about it doesn't sit right with me," I continued, my fingers tracing over the lines of the newsprint. "It's almost as if... it was planned."

The girls fell into silence at my words, each considering the possibility. The atmosphere suddenly shifted, as we all grappled with the idea that perhaps this wasn't the end of our troubles with Maroth after all.

Out of nowhere, a flurry of reporters swarmed towards us, cameras flashing and mics thrust forward. A cacophony of voices broke out, each trying to ask their question first.

"Chang, how does it feel to be the hero of those children?" one of them asked.

"You and your team have managed to free the children from Maroth's mansion. Can you share with us what led to this discovery?" another questioned.

"How did you manage to infiltrate Maroth's mansion without alerting any authorities?" yet another pressed, their face alight with curiosity.

"Sera, can you describe what you felt when you saw the children in those cages?" a softer voice from the crowd asked, turning its attention to Sera.

"Did you ever expect Maroth to be involved in something so horrifying?" another voice piped up, looking at each one of us for an answer.

The barrage of questions felt relentless, each question demanding more details, more insights into what had transpired. The reporters buzzed around us like bees, each eager for a taste of our story.

The reporters began to wield their magic devices – a varied assortment of trinkets and tools imbued with magical energy. Some held devices that resembled polished mirrors, while others used objects that looked like intricate lenses enclosed within metallic frames.

These magical tools hummed and glowed softly, each emanating an aura of mystic power. With practiced ease, they manipulated their tools, angling them this way and that. Some would adjust a dial or push a button and, with a soft whir and a flash of light, the moment was captured forever within the enchanted device.

The reporters were meticulous, taking pictures from various angles, trying to capture the most dramatic or telling moments. The constant flashing of lights was almost blinding, creating a surreal ambiance in the guild hall.

Amidst this flurry, the reporters would often confer with each other, pointing at the devices and discussing the images they had captured with animated expressions, their voices drowned by the overall clamor. They seemed eager, perhaps even desperate, to get the perfect shot that would tell our tale to the world.

With an air of finality, I drew a line under the impromptu interview with those parting words. Then, with a subtle nod to the girls, I conveyed my intention to leave. They understood my cue immediately - the synergy between us unmistakable.

Their graceful figures moved towards the guild hall's entrance, blending into the crowd. Sera, her fiery spirit momentarily subdued, walked with a newfound resilience, shoulders squared and eyes forward. Kuroko, the ever-vivacious rogue, slipped away stealthily, melting into the shadows as if second nature. Aurelia, the proud dragoness, strutted out, head held high and emanating a certain fierce dignity. Quiet and meek Lila followed closely, her kind eyes reflecting relief and contentment.

Once I saw them successfully navigate their way through the throng of people, it was my turn. Gathering myself, I sprung off the floor, demonstrating my S-tier agility. The leap was powerful, yet controlled. For a brief moment, I hung in the air above the heads of the awestruck crowd before smoothly landing outside the guild hall.

I could hear the gasps of surprise and admiration from the reporters as I disappeared from view. Their flashing lights slowly faded behind me, leaving only the echo of my statement, "We saw evil, we came after evil, we conquered evil," to reverberate in the bustling hall.

Q: Have you ever heard of the phrase "Veni vidi vici"?