[145] Center of envy

As the orchestra played a slow, melodic tune and we began to dance, the room erupted in cheers and applause, although some of the spectators held an undeniable hint of jealousy in their eyes. A murmur ran through the crowd, the words whispered in various tones of wonder, awe, envy, and even resentment.

"Look at them!" a young dwarven noblewoman said, clenching her fist. "Wang-Yi-Fei has all the luck!"

"Well, he is the most powerful human," a fox beastkin murmured, her tails swishing back and forth as she watched us with a hint of longing in her eyes.

"Still, I would have loved to dance with him..." sighed a mermaid princess, a wistful look on her face as she stared at us from her floating bubble.

Meanwhile, my companions watched with a mix of emotions. Sera turned away with a huff, crossing her arms over her chest, a blush rising to her cheeks. Kuroko clenched her fists, her lips pressed into a thin line. Aurelia turned her gaze away, her jaw set in a firm line as she stared at the dancing crowd. Lila, on the other hand, was watching us with a soft smile, although her eyes held a glint of sadness.

A wave of palpable jealousy swept over the crowd of male spectators, their faces etched with an array of disgruntled expressions. The refined nobles of various races whispered to each other, their tones laced with envy.

"Damn it, the human gets all the attention," a tall ogre noble grumbled, clenching his massive fists.

"Why him? Just because he's an L tier adventurer doesn't mean he gets to hog all the ladies!" a young elf prince added, his elegant features twisted in frustration.

"I bet I could out-dance him any day," a beastkin noble, sporting a pair of mighty horns, declared loudly, puffing his chest out in a futile attempt to draw attention.

And so it continued, the air thick with envy, as the noble men of all races begrudgingly admired the grace and skill with which I led the elven queen on the dance floor. Some of the braver souls contemplated challenging me to a dance-off, but the majority were content to brood and watch from a distance. Their grumbles and whispered comments added a peculiar harmony to the enchanting melody that filled the grand ballroom.

As I continued to twirl the elven queen gracefully on the dance floor, I could see my companions watching us from the side, a mix of emotions visible on their faces.

Sera crossed her arms and huffed, her cheeks puffed out slightly. "Hmph. He thinks he's so great, dancing with the queen like that," she muttered under her breath. Her tone was a mix of envy and admiration, a tell-tale sign of her tsundere personality.

Next to her, Kuroko folded her arms over her chest, a playful smirk on her face. "Oh, look at Mr. Fancy Feet, trying to impress us," she commented, her tone filled with feisty amusement. However, her eyes betrayed her, showing a hint of envy as she watched our performance.

Aurelia, always the fiery one, watched me intently. Her arms were crossed, and her eyebrows were furrowed. "He's so full of himself... And yet..." she started, her voice trailing off. It was clear that she was envious, and yet there was a touch of pride in her gaze as she watched me dance.

Lastly, Lila, ever the introverted one, was watching quietly from the sidelines. She was holding her hands together in front of her, her face a mask of mild envy. "Master looks so gallant... I wish I could dance with him like that," she murmured, her voice soft and almost inaudible.

I could feel their gaze on me, their emotions rolling off them in waves. But amidst their jealousy, I could also sense their pride and respect for me. It was a peculiar mix, but it was something that I had come to expect from these extraordinary girls.