[83] Unexpected turn

That night we decided to take our celebration to The gladiator.

As we entered the local tavern, the room fell silent for a moment before breaking into applause. The patrons stood from their tables, raising their mugs in our direction. A sea of faces, flushed with ale and excitement, greeted us.

"Chang! The Champion of Roma Arena!" a grizzled adventurer shouted from the crowd, his voice slurred but clear. The crowd roared in response, their cheers drowning out the chatter and the clink of mugs.

Aurelia, still carrying her battle bruises with pride, raised a hand to wave at the crowd, a smug grin on her face. Sera and Kuroko followed suit, their smiles bright and genuine. The tavern erupted with laughter and applause once again.

We made our way to an empty table, and the tavern keeper immediately came over with a round of their best ale. "On the house for the Champion and his friends!" he declared, placing the mugs on the table.

We raised our mugs, clinking them together in a toast. "To the Champion!" Sera exclaimed, her voice full of pride. "To Chang!"

"And to good friends," I added, raising my mug to the girls. They smiled, raising their mugs in response, and the tavern around us echoed with cheers, laughter, and the sound of celebration. The night was filled with stories, laughter, and camaraderie, a celebration fitting for the victors of the Roma Arena.

While we were in the middle of cheering, Alicia stepped through the entrance, the lively chatter and laughter in the tavern came to a sudden stop. All eyes turned towards the petite figure with golden hair and sapphire eyes. Even in her knight's armor, she was a sight to behold. The hush of anticipation hung heavy in the air, before Alicia's bright voice broke the silence.

"Congrats on your victory, handsome boy!" She declared cheerily, her sapphire eyes twinkling with genuine admiration. Her cheeks were tinted with a slight blush, giving her youthful face an added charm.

My companions and I exchanged glances before I stood up, raising my mug to her in response. "Thank you, Alicia. It was a fair duel."

A cheer went up from the crowd, filling the air with renewed energy. Some patrons clapped her on the shoulder as they passed, others raised their mugs to her in a silent toast. Despite her loss, the crowd respected Alicia for her tenacity and skill, and her good-natured acceptance of defeat.

Even Aurelia, who had been the most vocal in her criticism of the young knight, gave a nod of approval.

"There is something I want to say to you..." Alicia's voice trembled a bit.

A hush fell over the crowd again as Alicia stepped forward, her eyes filled with a mixture of nerves and determination. The playfulness in her tone was gone, replaced by an earnestness that seemed to command the attention of everyone present.

"I've previously made an oath," she began, her voice steady, though slightly higher pitched than normal, betraying her nervousness. Her eyes met mine unflinchingly, the familiar twinkle replaced with a steadfast glow. "I said that whichever swordsman could defeat me in a duel, I would gladly marry him."

There was a moment of silence, and then a few gasps echoed throughout the room. Alicia's face turned a deep shade of red, but she held her ground. Raising her head high, she addressed me directly, her voice echoing in the stunned silence of the tavern.

"So, handsome boy, no... Chang," she corrected herself, each word enunciated clearly. "As the 9th Princess of Ayre, I, Alicia Aquitaine Acott, ask you this. Will you take my hand in marriage, Chang?"

The silence in the tavern was deafening, as everyone awaited my response. The playful, spirited princess had laid her feelings bare before everyone, the seriousness of her proposal hanging heavy in the air.

In the face of Alicia's sincere confession, I couldn't help but find humor to cut the intense atmosphere. My eyes twinkled mischievously, a hint of a smile on my lips.

"Is it too late to surrender?" I joked, earning a burst of surprised laughter from the crowd and a range of expressions from my companions.

Alicia's sapphire eyes widened in disbelief, her blush intensifying as she registered my response. "You...You're turning down my hand!?" She stuttered, her voice laced with shock. Her fingers clutched at the edge of her silken skirt, a reflex from her surprise.

The once boisterous tavern was once again silenced, the air heavy with a blend of amusement and tension. While the crowd found humor in my light-hearted response, Alicia seemed flabbergasted, her surprise clear as day on her blushing face. The playful, spirited princess was momentarily lost for words, her proposal hanging in the balance.

Feeling the weight of everyone's eyes on me, I cleared my throat, ready to put an end to the unexpected scenario. Leaning casually on the back of my chair, I met Alicia's pleading gaze with a gentle but firm look.

"No hard feelings, Alicia," I said, my voice carrying over the silent crowd, "But that's a hard pass for me."

An almost inaudible gasp rippled through the crowd, echoing the shock visible on Alicia's face. Her eyes, now brimming with disappointment, stared at me with a silent plea.

"Whyyyyyy!?" Alicia squealed, her words echoing through the tavern. Her disappointment was as palpable as the silence that had befallen the room once more. I could hear her heartbreak in the drawn-out cry, the playful princess momentarily lost to her emotions. Despite her usually bold demeanor, it was clear this rejection had stung.

Feeling a touch of sympathy for the disheartened princess, I offered a compromise. "How about this," I began, a smirk forming on my lips, "I will accept your hand in marriage when you beat me in a 1v1. How does that sound?"

A gasp echoed around the room as the crowd waited with bated breath for Alicia's response. For a moment, she stared back at me, her blue eyes wide in surprise. Then, slowly, a grin spread across her face, a glimmer of hope returning to her gaze.

"You've got a deal, Chang!" she announced, excitement bubbling in her voice. "Next time, I won't lose! You'll see!" She punctuated her words with a determined nod, her competitive spirit reignited.

Laughter and applause filled the room as the tense silence finally broke. It seemed Alicia's proposal and my counter-offer had added a new layer of excitement to the evening. The festival atmosphere returned as the crowd raised their glasses, toasting to the future duel that was now inevitable.

Q: What are the types of bet you would usually make?