[155] Bet

Asus entered the conference room, his white tuxedo immaculate as ever, a stark contrast to the grim expressions that met him. His ruby red eyes glittered with amusement, his serpentine smile unwavering despite the icy stares thrown his way.

The moment he caught sight of me, his smile widened. "Ah, Wang-Yi-Fei-chan," he cooed, his voice resonating in the tense silence of the room. "I just knew you couldn't resist coming to see me."

His nonchalance was like a slap in the face, but I remained calm, my expression impassive. "Don't mistake necessity for fondness, Asus," I said, keeping my voice steady. "We have a proposition for you."

"Oh, do you now?" Asus replied, his gaze dancing from face to face, taking in the grim determination mirrored in each one. "Well, I'm all ears." His smile remained, like a predator amused by the antics of its prey.

"Trust a demon?" King Alaric barked out a humorless laugh. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. No offense meant, Asus."

Chief Tall-Tail shook his head, the fur along his spine bristling. "We'd sooner trust a rabid wolf," he grumbled.

I raised a hand, motioning for them to settle. "I'm well aware of the risks," I said calmly. "But Asus has a...particular characteristic that we can leverage."

Princess Aquaria's brows furrowed, her expression a mixture of skepticism and curiosity. "And that would be?"

"A knack for gambling," I said, turning to face Asus whose smirk only widened at my words. "He's a risk-taker, that one. And once he agrees to a wager, he sticks to it. Isn't that right, Asus?"

His laughter filled the room, a sound rich with amusement and a hint of challenge. "Spot on, Wang-Yi-Fei-chan. Life's no fun without a little gamble, don't you think?"

"Indeed," I echoed, a smile tugging at the corner of my lips as I shared in Asus' levity. But then I straightened, pushing off the table I had been leaning against. I broadened my shoulders and let my gaze level with Asus', my tone carrying a resonance of determination that commanded attention. "I, Wang-Yi-Fei, challenge you, Asus, to a bet."

A moment of silence ensued, the air in the room thick with anticipation. Each representative watched on, their attention firmly on the exchange before them. Then, Asus' grin widened, a glint of excitement flashing in his ruby red eyes.

"I, Asus," he began, his words drawing out in a theatrical show of bravado. His gaze never left mine, the smirk never faltering on his lips as he accepted my challenge. "Accept your challenge, Wang-Yi-Fei." The room hummed with quiet murmurs, the leaders exchanging glances, their expressions a mix of bewilderment and apprehension.

The leaders in the room were stunned by the sudden turn of events. King Alaric's keen blue eyes widened a fraction, his experienced demeanor thrown off by the unexpected gambit. He shared a glance with Chief Tall-Tail, who was silent for once, his large amber eyes locked onto the two of us in the center of the room, flicking back and forth with obvious curiosity.

Thorgal Ironhammer let out a low grumble, his fiery red beard twitching in displeasure. He shared a disbelieving look with Gromash, who barked out a hearty laugh, his large frame shaking with amusement. He slammed his massive hand on the table, his voice rumbling like distant thunder. "This is going to be interesting!" he exclaimed.

Aurelia watched in mute surprise, her violet eyes wide and her lips parting slightly. Elandra, however, remained serene, her emerald eyes reflecting a hint of interest.

Princess Aquaria, still in her water bubble, was quiet. She blinked her turquoise eyes in surprise, then leaned her chin on her hand, intrigued. "Well, this is a surprise..." she murmured.

All eyes then returned to me and Asus, everyone anticipating the terms of our challenge.

"Well," Asus began, leaning back in his chair with a mischievous smirk playing on his lips, "what do you propose we wager on, Wang-Yi-Fei?"

I met his gaze with an equally determined look. "Whoever loses this bet," I began, my voice calm and steady despite the heavy silence that blanketed the room, "will be compelled to perform a single task, anything that the victor demands."

The corners of Asus's mouth stretched into a wider grin, his ruby red eyes gleaming with unbridled excitement. He leaned forward, elbows on the table, and interlocked his fingers. "Ohhhh," he drawled, his gaze never leaving mine. "That is quite daring indeed, Wang-Yi-Fei. I must say, I rather like your style."

Asus's declaration sent a shockwave through the room, his smirk widening at the stunned expressions of the gathered leaders. A moment of sheer silence hung in the air before it was shattered by a cacophony of reactions.

King Alaric's eyebrows shot up in surprise, his face registering an odd mix of confusion and amusement. Chief Tall-Tail choked on his drink, the liquid spewing out as he coughed and sputtered. Ambassador Aurelia simply blinked, her teal eyes wide with disbelief.

Dwarf King Thorgal's burly laugh boomed through the room, the deep sound resonating as he slapped his armored thigh. War-chief Gromash growled, his large hands clenching and unclenching, clearly discomforted by the turn of events. Princess Aquaria, within her bubble of water, looked thoroughly shocked, her mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water.

Elandra, her serene demeanor slightly ruffled, managed to say, "Well, that's... unexpected," in a voice that hinted at bemusement.

Meanwhile, I remained silent, staring back at Asus, unfazed by his unexpected demand. An amused smile curled at the corners of my lips. This was typical of Asus, always trying to stir up some chaos. Nevertheless, the stakes had just been raised, and the game had become even more interesting.

My response seemed to hang in the air, the room falling silent as each of the leaders glanced towards me, then towards Asus. Asus, however, seemed to be taken aback by my response. The room, previously filled with an atmosphere of confusion and surprise, was now charged with anticipation.

"Oh, come on, Wang-Yi-Fei, don't keep us all in suspense!" Asus chuckled, leaning back in his chair. The faintest glint of curiosity, and perhaps a hint of concern, flickered in his ruby eyes.

My grin widened as I met his gaze, the challenge clear. "As I said, Asus," I repeated, allowing a slight pause for dramatic effect. "I will tell you when I win."

A low murmur echoed through the room as the gathered leaders shared glances, curious about my mysterious retort. However, the amusement in Asus's eyes was replaced by a glint of determination, his smirk never wavering. "I'll be looking forward to it, then," he replied smoothly, a gleam of intrigue evident in his tone.

Q: Do you gamble?