[95] Troubles brewing

The rustic wooden doors of One last drink creaked open as we stepped in, our bodies battered and bruised, yet with a radiant glow of triumph in our eyes. The regular murmur of the tavern quieted as we walked in, the occupants looking at us with a mixture of respect and awe. It was not every day a group emerged victorious from the abyss, let alone after facing off against the formidable Undead Champion.

Raising my mug high, I broke the silence, "To our hard-fought victory over the Undead Champion and the bravery that brought us here!" I announced loudly. The tavern erupted into cheers, mugs raised high and clinking together in celebration of our triumph.

Sera, her freshly reattached arm cradled carefully, huffed at my words, a blush creeping onto her cheeks. "Tch... don't get too full of yourself. I didn't need your help... but... thanks," she muttered, her tsundere nature not allowing her to fully admit her gratitude.

Kuroko, her bandaged leg propped up on an extra stool, smirked at Sera's reaction. "Oh, Sera, always too stubborn to admit when she's grateful. I must say though, without our fearless leader here, we'd probably still be stuck in the abyss, right?"

Aurelia, who had been silent till now, her arrogance subdued by the close call we'd had, spoke up. "Indeed. It was a close battle, but our strength prevailed. I must admit, you are a worthy leader," she said, grudgingly acknowledging my role in our victory.

Lila, always the attentive maid, began to serve out plates of the hearty tavern fare she'd ordered during our banter. "Master, please eat up. You need to replenish your strength. Everyone else too," she said with a warm smile, her concern for our well-being evident.

The rest of the night was filled with laughter, tales of our recent adventure, and heartfelt camaraderie. We savored our victory, knowing that it was just one of many more to come.

As we continued our celebratory merriment, a change in the tavern's ambiance piqued my interest. The chatter of the locals had turned from their usual boisterous mirth to hushed and somber tones. I subtly honed in on a conversation between a couple of weathered adventurers at a corner table.

The first adventurer, a grizzled man with scars crisscrossing his face, said in a hushed voice, "Did you hear about the tension at the Elvenwood border? It seems the elves and beastkin are gearing up for something big."

The other, a woman with a tattoo of a phoenix splayed across her neck, leaned in closer, her face grim. "Aye, I've heard. They've been gathering forces, recruiting not just from within their territories but from other races as well. Even dwarves and humans are getting dragged into this mess."

A third man, younger and seemingly more naive, looked shocked at the revelation. "But... why would they do that? I mean, why now?"

The scarred man shrugged, taking a sip of his ale before responding, "Who knows? Territory, power, old grudges... could be any or all of them. Either way, this doesn't bode well for any of us."

My heart clenched at the information. A war could cause immense devastation, but more than that, it would destabilize the current balance of power. I shared a look with Sera and Aurelia, their eyes reflecting the same worry. This was information we couldn't afford to ignore.

Q: Have you played "Rise of kingdoms" before?