[74] Holding my ground

Under the brilliant morning sun, the coliseum buzzed with energy and anticipation. As I took my position in the arena, I spotted Lila and Sera amidst the sea of spectators. Their distinct voices echoed across the battlefield, an encouragement that warmed my heart and steeled my resolve.

"Go for it, Chang!" Lila called out first, her voice melodic amidst the noise. Her hands cupped around her mouth to amplify her voice, and her eyes shone with a fierce supportiveness that spoke volumes.

Then came Sera, her typically tsundere attitude momentarily fading into sheer enthusiasm. "Don't you dare lose, boss!" she yelled, her elven pride bubbling in her shout. Her words, though seemingly gruff, held a strong undertone of faith and trust in me.

These cheers, simple yet heartfelt, set the mood for the upcoming battle. As I acknowledged their cheers with a nod, the roar of the crowd resonated within the ancient walls of the coliseum, the echoes igniting the fiery anticipation for the impending fight.

***

As the sun began to dip low in the sky, painting the city of Roma in hues of gold and red, our small group gathered together once again.

"How did you fare, Chang?" Aurelia asked, a glimmer of anticipation in her eyes. Her crimson hair caught the last rays of the setting sun, glowing like a fiery halo around her.

"I managed to hold my ground. There were no S-tier contenders today," I replied, flexing my somewhat tired arms. The battles had been intense, but nothing that I couldn't handle.

Aurelia grinned broadly at my words, her white teeth gleaming in the fading light. "Well done, boss! I managed to keep my position as the pit boss too."

Our attention then shifted to Kuroko, who seemed somewhat subdued. Her eyes flickered towards the ground, a hint of frustration in her usually feisty gaze. "I... I lost," she admitted quietly. "Ran into this crazy strong girl who was SS-tier. It was insane!"

Even though Kuroko seemed disappointed, we patted her back in encouragement.

"Don't worry, we'll get them next time." I comforted her.

"Thanks boss." Kuroko paused. "Well, I suppose in that case, you will just have to give me more private sparing lessons?" she said with a suggestive wink.

"You sure know how to make a bargain." I grinned.

Q: Have you ever done sparing matches before?