[51] The dragon girl did not like my choice

The girl's face darkened, her sapphire eyes narrowing at me. She crossed her arms over her chest, her slender fingers digging into the soft flesh of her upper arms.

"Surrender? Tame? You're really overestimating yourselves," she scoffed, her tone brimming with disdain. "I am Aurelia, the Azure Dragon you speak of. Do you really think I would bow down to you humans?"

She unfolded her arms, her posture straightening as she tilted her chin upwards, showcasing her horns in an intimidating display. "I don't care about your threats, human," she continued, her voice reverberating through the cave. "I am not some domesticated beast to be tamed. You've clearly misunderstood who you're dealing with."

"Is that so, Aurelia?" I said, smirking slightly. "I think you underestimate us as well. Maybe you have your pride as a dragon, but we also have our own as adventurers."

"Adventurers?" Aurelia echoed, her voice dripping with condescension. "Are you comparing your human desires for glory and gold to the pride of a dragon?"

Her wings unfurled, stretching out to their full length, casting a shadow that spread across the entire cave. "Fine, have it your way." I replied, my voice steady. "But let's get one thing clear. We're not here for glory or gold. We're here to protect those who can't protect themselves."

The dragon smirked, her eyes glinting dangerously in the firelight. "Very well. Let's see how well you can protect, human."

Aurelia's body glowed with an intense azure light as a massive beam of flame erupted from her mouth. Her long hair billowed in the rising heat, her eyes glinting like two sapphires set aflame. The cave was filled with the sound of roaring fire and the sharp scent of ozone.

My heart pounded in my chest as the wave of fire bore down on us, bathing the cave in an eerie blue light. The temperature rose drastically, and I could feel the heat seeping into my skin, my clothes beginning to singe at the edges.

Reacting on instinct, I moved in front of Sera and Kuroko, my sword held high. The blue flames engulfed us, but I stood firm, channeling my mana into the blade, forming a protective barrier of shimmering air around us.

The heat was intense, almost unbearable. I could feel my grip on the sword slipping as the heat began to warp the metal, its polished surface beginning to bubble and run like molten wax. The roar of the flames filled my ears, making it impossible to hear anything else.

When the onslaught of flames finally ceased, I dropped my sword, the metal too hot to hold. The ground beneath us was scorched and blackened, and the air was filled with the smell of burnt rock and metal.

Aurelia stood at the other end of the cave, her eyes still blazing with blue fire, her wings spread wide. She was panting slightly, but there was an undeniable grin on her face, a wild, fierce joy that spoke volumes about her love for battle.

"Well, well," she purred, her voice echoing around the cave. "You're not as weak as you look, human."

"Sera! Take the right flank! Kuroko, the left flank!" I roared, my voice echoing off the cave walls.

Sera nodded, her face hardened into a determined expression. She swiftly moved to the right, her hands glowing with a crimson light as she channeled her blood magic. The air around her became thick with an eerie, supernatural energy, and the ground beneath her feet seemed to pulse in tandem with her heartbeat.

On my other side, Kuroko moved with catlike grace and speed. Her dual daggers glinted in the eerie blue light, casting sharp shadows on the cave walls. Her green eyes sparkled with excitement as she dashed towards Aurelia, using her agile body to easily navigate the rough terrain.