[24] Warning

"Please..." Gerrald reached out, his hand shaking as he tried to grab Lila's arm.

But before his fingers could touch her, I swiftly stepped between them, pushing him back into his chair. "She is no longer yours," I stated coldly, my voice ringing out clearly in the silent tavern.

"Who the fk are you to say that? She's my daughter!" Gerrald barked back, slamming his palm on the table, rattling the empty mugs. His eyes were wild, a mixture of fear and anger flashing in his bloodshot irises.

"She stopped being your daughter the moment you signed her off to repay your debts," I retorted, my tone firm and unwavering. The room was filled with shocked gasps from the onlookers. Lila stood silently behind me, her fists clenched.

"No, please... don't take her away!" Gerrald slurred, desperation seeping into his voice as he slid off his chair and onto the dirty floor of the tavern. His gaze alternated between his daughter and me, confusion and fear marring his features. "I'll get the money back... I swear I will."

My expression hardened as I looked down at the pathetic man at my feet. "And how do you plan on doing that? Continue to gamble and sink deeper into your debts?" I snapped, my voice echoing around the silent room.

His eyes widened at my words, but he was unable to provide an answer. I continued, my anger bubbling up. "If you truly want her back, then pull yourself together! Stop this foolish gambling, find a job and start repaying your debts. Show your worth as a father, not as a debtor!"

The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Gerrald sat frozen on the floor, my words hanging heavily in the air. It was a harsh truth, but one that he needed to hear.

"Let's go," I declared, my voice leaving no room for negotiation. I pivoted, my long coat swirling around me as I made my way towards the entrance of the tavern. I could feel every eye on us, the patrons of the establishment too stunned to utter a word, their evening revelries effectively ruined by the spectacle they had just witnessed.

Behind me, I heard a hesitant shuffling. Turning slightly, I saw Lila staring at Gerrald, her father. Her eyes were filled with a whirlwind of emotions – sorrow, relief, worry – as she studied the broken man slumped over on the floor. She seemed torn, on the verge of going back, of comforting him. But instead, she took a deep breath, her small hands balling into fists at her sides.

"Lila," I called gently, causing her to jump slightly. She glanced over at me, and I could see the uncertainty swirling in her eyes. But my expression was resolute, my decision clear. This was for her own good. "We need to go."

She gave one last glance back at her father, who was still a pitiful heap on the tavern floor. She took a shaky breath, seemingly composing herself, before she nodded, her shoulders squaring with determination.

Then, with a final, lingering glance over her shoulder, Lila followed me out of the tavern and into the night. The door creaked shut behind us, and the lively chatter of the bar was replaced by the soft chirping of crickets and the gentle rustle of the nighttime breeze.

Outside the tavern Sera was there, leaning against the rough exterior wall of the tavern with her arms crossed and a thoughtful expression on her face. Her fiery eyes were focused on something distant, her brow furrowed in contemplation.

She glanced at us as we emerged, her gaze flicking between me and Lila. There was a question in her eyes, one she voiced a moment later, her tone slightly softer than usual, "Do you think he will change?"

I paused, turning to look at her. Even under the dim light, I could see the earnest curiosity in her gaze. It was a question I had asked myself, a question to which I didn't have a concrete answer. The world was filled with unpredictability, after all.

"Only God knows," I said, my voice even.

Sera held my gaze for a moment longer before she huffed, turning her head away with a flick of her hair. "Hmph, as if you'd have all the answers," she retorted, the typical tsundere facade slipping back into place. But the slight softening of her eyes hinted at the worry beneath.

With that, we turned away from the tavern, leaving its boisterous noise and the past behind. Our footsteps echoed in the quiet night as we headed towards the motel. Despite the unknown future, for that moment, the three of us were moving forward, united by a shared purpose.

Q: Do you think its possible for Lila's father to change?