[42] Catching 9 Lives

With a subtle flash of my magic, I activated the magical tracker I had placed on the Star of Veridian. A small blue dot began to pulsate gently in the palm of my hand, indicating the direction of the Star.

Swiftly, I reached into my satchel and pulled out an unassuming cloak, its ethereal sheen only visible to my eyes. The Invisibility Cloak, an item I had kept for such unexpected situations. With a practiced ease, I draped it around myself, my form fading away until I became completely invisible to the naked eye.

The pulsating blue dot guided me through the labyrinth of city streets, twisting and turning into areas I hadn't previously explored. The thief was fast, his desperation adding wings to his feet, but I was faster. Moving silently through the crowded streets, my invisible form caused no disturbance, no suspicion, as I followed the tracker's path.

The blue dot began to slow, finally stopping at a shabby-looking house at the far end of the city. It was the most nondescript house on the street, tucked away in a corner, hidden under the shadows of taller, grander buildings. The perfect hideout for a thief.

My heart pounded in my chest as I approached the house, careful to keep my footsteps silent. The invisibility cloak was doing its job perfectly, rendering me unseen. I had followed him successfully to his hideout without raising any alarms.

The moment he entered inside his house, I snuck him after him and placed a sword to his throat.

The figure froze at the sensation of my blade against his throat, his body going rigid with surprise.

"Take off your cloak," I ordered, my voice barely above a whisper.

The figure's trembling fingers pushed back the hood of her cloak, revealing her to be a creature of rare, breathtaking beauty. Her lush, black hair cascaded over her shoulders in soft waves, framing a face of such ethereal beauty that it could've been chiseled by the finest of artists.

Her eyes, the color of emeralds, were wide and startled, their almond shape accentuated by a thick fringe of dark lashes. But what made her unmistakably a beastkind were the pair of pointed cat ears nestled amidst her hair, tipped with tufts of white. And a long, agile tail that swished nervously behind her, its black fur just as smooth and shiny as the hair on her head.

She was dressed in form-fitting clothing, highlighting her slender, athletic frame. The garments were worn and faded, hinting at a life of stealth and evasion. A thick belt sat low on her hips, its pockets bulging with the tools of her trade.

Around her throat, she wore a simple silver pendant, carved into the shape of a small cat, which rested against her chest, the innocent trinket a stark contrast to the magnificence of the Star of Veldrian, lying uncared for on a rickety table nearby.

She was the thief, the elusive 'Nine Lives' I had been hunting, and now that I had cornered her, my real work could begin.

Q: What do you think will happen next?