[16] Here comes the money...

Walking into the bustling bank, the clinking of coins, the rustling of paper, and the hum of hushed conversations filled the air. I led Sera toward one of the polished wooden counters, and the bank clerk behind it gave us a quick, dismissive once-over.

"May I help you?" the clerk asked, her voice dripping with condescension as she took in my modest attire. I just smiled and replied, "Yes, I would like to make a withdrawal."

Her eyes flickered in surprise, but she regained her composure quickly, "And how much do you intend to withdraw?" she asked, her tone still condescending.

The clerk's eyes widened as she took in the sight of the card I laid on the counter. It was a sleek, obsidian black, with no visible markings or identifiers other than the shiny embossed symbol of the bank on its surface. The card was simple in its design, yet it held a weight of importance that was impossible to ignore. In the banking world, a black card signified the highest level of wealth and privilege. It was something few ever saw and even fewer possessed.

I slid it across the counter to her, the soft scrape of the card on the wooden surface barely audible over the general hubbub of the bank. The clerk gingerly picked up the card as if it were made of glass, her hands trembling slightly. She quickly inserted it into her terminal, her fingers flying over the keys as she typed in the necessary commands to access the account.

A few moments passed, and the terminal beeped, the screen displaying the account information. The clerk's eyes flickered over the screen, and her jaw dropped. She shot a glance at me, then back at the screen, her eyes wide and disbelieving.

For my part, I just leaned back against the counter, crossing my arms over my chest as I offered her a small, nonchalant smile. Sera, standing beside me, shot me a questioning look, but I just shrugged, deciding to let the scene play out.

Sera's eyes bulged as the hefty pouch of gold coins landed in her hand with a thud. She stumbled slightly under the unexpected weight, her fingers tightening around the soft, worn leather.

"1000 gold, consider a small reward for your efforts yesterday." I said.

"You... you're...," she stuttered, looking between me and the pouch in her hand, her face a picture of shock and disbelief. "This is... this is a fortune!" she exclaimed.

"It's no fortune," I replied with a shrug. "Just the payment for the job you did."

"But this... this is too much!" she protested, her eyes wide. "And where did you get all this money?!"

I simply grinned, leaning against the counter nonchalantly. "Let's just say... I've been around for a while," I said cryptically. "And as for the amount, consider it a sign of my appreciation. You did a great job yesterday, Sera. You deserve it."

Her mouth opened and closed several times, as if struggling to find the right words. "I... I...," she spluttered before finally giving up and huffing in exasperation. "You... you're just full of surprises, aren't you?"

"I try my best," I replied with a wink. "Now, shall we get going? We have a team to build, after all."

I turn to the clerk and slid a 100 gold coin on the desk: "Tell no one I have been here."

The clerk's eyes widened at the sight of the gold coins, her gaze flicking back and forth between the coins and me in surprise. She reached out hesitantly, her fingers brushing against the cool metal before she quickly snatched them up, as if afraid I'd change my mind.

"Of... of course, sir," she stammered, clutching the gold tightly in her hand. "Your secret's safe with me."

I gave her a curt nod, my gaze steady and unyielding. "Good," I said.

I turned on my heel and began to walk away, Sera following closely behind. As we exited the bank, I glanced over my shoulder one last time, catching the clerk's gaze. His eyes were wide, and he nodded vigorously, clutching the coins even tighter.

I suppose this should cover it...

Q: What is your attitude towards money?