[2] Deal

I blinked, taken aback. This was no ordinary job. It was a contract, a dark and dangerous request.

"I don't have much," she continued, her gaze steady on mine. "But I can offer what I have."

There was desperation in her eyes, a quiet plea that stirred something within me. This wasn't about the reward. It was about why she was asking this of me, of all people.

"Who?" I asked after a moment of silence, deciding to play along.

"His name is Maroth," she said, her voice a low hiss. "He's a high-ranking official in the city. A human, B tier."

I nodded slowly, but sending me a supposed 'noob' of F tier to kill someone of B tier made me feel like something just doesn't quite add up.

"And why should he die?" I asked, holding her gaze.

She drew a deep breath, her fists clenching at her sides. "Because he's corrupt. He's been extorting and manipulating people, amassing power and wealth for himself. He's untouchable. The city's guards won't act against him."

Silence fell over us. Her request, as grim as it was, began to make sense. In this world, might made right. And if the guards wouldn't act, who would?

"And why me?" I finally asked. "You've seen my stats. I'm a noob."

The woman looked at me, her violet eyes gleaming with a strange intensity. "I have my reasons. You just need to trust me."

Trust. A heavy word in a world like this. But her desperation, her determination, it was genuine. I found myself considering her proposal, the thrill of this secret task igniting a spark within me.

"Alright," I agreed, my voice steady. "I'll do it, but I can't promise I will complete it."

Her face lit up with relief, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Thank you, Chang."

As we parted ways, I was left with a feeling of anticipation.

A task of assassination for an F tier adventurer?

Interesting...

Q: Why do you think Sera hired Chang?