[60] Meal in the sky

The warm, inviting aroma of the meal Lila was preparing wafted throughout the ship, drawing everyone towards the cabin. It was a rich, mouth-watering symphony of scents that had everyone's stomach growling in anticipation.

Lila presented the first dish with a flourish: A succulent roast chicken, its skin glazed to a crisp golden brown, seasoned with fragrant herbs and spices. It was accompanied by a bowl of fresh, crunchy vegetables, lightly seasoned and tossed in a tangy vinaigrette.

Next, she brought out a platter of steamed fish, its skin glistening under the light. The fish was caught fresh that morning, its tender white flesh practically falling apart at the touch. A squeeze of citrus provided the perfect tangy counterbalance to the fish's delicate flavor.

The final dish was a hearty pot of stew, filled to the brim with chunks of tender beef, potatoes, carrots, and peas. The rich aroma of the broth hinted at the slow, careful cooking that had coaxed every bit of flavor out of the ingredients.

"And now, for the dessert," Lila announced, presenting a sweet, flaky apple pie, the lattice crust golden and the filling bubbling at the edges.

There was a moment of silence as the girls took in the feast before them, then a chorus of appreciative comments filled the air.

"This looks amazing, Lila!" Kuroko exclaimed, her eyes shining in anticipation.

Sera, ever the tsundere, said, "It's not like I'm impressed or anything... but it does look good."

"I must admit," Aurelia added with a slight nod, "even in my palace, meals rarely look this appetizing."

With a happy smile on her face, Lila replied, "Well then, I hope it tastes just as good as it looks. Let's dig in!"

"I didn't know you were so good at cooking Lila." I complimented her.

The compliment caught Lila off guard, and she blushed a bit, ducking her head in response. "Thank you, Master. I...uh, I had to learn to cook," she admitted softly, looking down at her hands.

There was a moment's pause before she gathered herself to continue. "You see, my father had... quite a penchant for gambling. When the debts began to pile up, he was incapable of paying them off," Lila's voice wavered, revealing a hint of the pain and disappointment she held for her father.

A sorrowful silence fell over the table. But Lila forced a small smile, "I found work at a local tavern. They needed a cook, and... well, I found that I had a knack for it. It was hard work, but... it helped pay off the debts. It's funny how life works sometimes."

I glanced at Lila, seeing a strength I hadn't noticed before. "Your skills are certainly impressive, Lila. It seems your experience shaped you into a great cook. We are lucky to have you here," I acknowledged her talent, trying to offer her some comfort, reminding her that every cloud has a silver lining.

***

When it was time for sleep, the girls went below deck and they found they each got their own individual bedrooms.

Their eyes were wide and brimming with disbelief, Sera broke the silence first, "Wait, we each have our own rooms? Like, separate rooms?"

A chuckle rose from Kuroko as she peeked into one of the rooms, "Certainly a change from our usual sleeping arrangement. No more waking up to Aurelia's snoring, eh?" Her words were wrapped in mirth as she twirled around to look at the other two girls.

Lila, whose eyes were still adjusting to the new environment, chimed in, "It's amazing... I've never had a room to myself before. It feels... luxurious."

But, Aurelia, who was used to the finer things in life, just snorted at their reactions. Her golden eyes reflected the lamplight as she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the doorframe, "Hmph, it's about time. I'd rather not share my sleeping space with anyone else, thank you very much."

However, beneath her arrogance, there was an undeniable glint of pleasure in her sapphire eyes. After all, even a princess could appreciate a bit more privacy.

Kuroko, with her ever-teasing smirk, sauntered over to me, an eyebrow arching playfully. "Hey, Chang," she started, her tone a melodious drawl, "you planning on recruiting any more girls to our little... party?"

I feigned ignorance, quirking a brow at her. She chuckled lightly, her eyes shimmering with mischief. "You know what I mean," she waved her hand vaguely around, pointing at the girls, then the rooms, "At this rate, we're going to run out of bedrooms."

She leaned in closer, her emerald eyes twinkling. "Unless, of course," she mused with a wicked grin, "that's part of your grand master plan to keep us all in one room again?"

Her teasing words hung in the air, eliciting a light round of laughter from the others. Even Aurelia, ever so stoic and composed, let out a muffled snort at Kuroko's suggestion.

I couldn't help but blush a bit at her words.

The girls gazed at me, a moment of surprised silence hanging in the air as they registered the blush coloring my cheeks. Kuroko's mouth fell open, a mischievous grin swiftly overtaking her features. "Oh, you're blushing!" she exclaimed, pointing at me in delight. "The great Chang, blushing!"

Lila chuckled warmly, her gaze sparkling with teasing mirth. "Now that's something you don't see every day," she commented, the corners of her mouth twitching upwards into a smile.

Sera, although maintaining her typical nonchalant exterior, couldn't entirely hide the playful glint in her eyes. "You know, Chang," she chimed in with a smirk, "it's cute when you're embarrassed."

Aurelia, even with her fierce and imperious demeanor, couldn't resist a small, amused huff, her sapphire eyes glinting with subtle mirth.

In the midst of the unexpected spectacle, I managed to regain my composure, "I'm going to sleep now," I announced abruptly, trying to suppress the heat in my cheeks. Their laughter followed me out of the room, the light, teasing atmosphere carrying on even as I left.

Oh you girls...

I found myself smiling.

Q: Do you get embarrassed easily?