[46] Money well spent

The next day, I went to the guild hall and returned the Viridian star, we were then rewarded with 100K gold.

As I dropped the hefty bag of gold onto the table, Sera couldn't help but scrutinize the amount. Her eyes narrowed, "You're not making any sense, you know that, right?" She said, her arms crossed in irritation. "The amount of money you splurged on clothes and that fancy suite, it's way more than what we've got as a reward."

I grinned and leaned back in my chair, resting my hands behind my head in a relaxed manner. "Well, Sera, I suppose it's a matter of perspective. You see, in my eyes, if someone's able to nab something worth 10 million, then they themselves are a treasure just as valuable."

Her scowl deepened as she muttered, "What a roundabout way to make a point... and a ridiculous one at that."

Kuroko chuckled, her tail flicking in amusement. "He's got a point though, Sera. This entire venture brought me into your fold. That's a gain, ain't it?"

Sera just huffed and looked away, but didn't argue further. I merely grinned wider, satisfied with the outcome. Our adventure had gained us a new comrade, and that, in itself, was worth more than any treasure.

***

The teleportation center was a massive dome-shaped structure, filled with the bustling sounds of people preparing for their travels and the soft hum of the teleportation gate, which dominated the center of the room. The gate itself was an impressive feat of magic and engineering, a large circular portal of shimmering energy, contained within a frame of ancient runes and metallic arcana circuits. The energy swirled within the portal's frame, an enticing invitation to distant lands and adventures unknown.

Nearby, a human gatekeeper stood, dressed in an official uniform adorned with the insignia of the Teleportation Guild. His posture was rigid, indicating his military background, but his face was friendly enough. His job was to ensure the safety and efficiency of the portal's usage, providing guidance and assistance to travelers, and maintaining the peace within the center.

He observed our group approach, a seasoned gaze sizing us up, before he moved towards us. He nodded respectfully at our arrival, his eyes scanning our group before finally settling on me. "Greetings, travelers," he said, his voice deep and authoritative. "Where do you intend to venture today?"

"Ah, Wyndham." The gatekeeper nodded, his expression changing to a more serious tone. "A bustling city of trade and commerce. A fair distance away too. The teleportation fee for your group to Wyndham will be 2,000 gold. Will you be making the payment?"

"I will cover it," I replied, reaching into my pouch and handing over the gold coins to him.

He counted the coins and nodded, then gestured towards the portal. "Very well. Please step forward and prepare for the teleportation."

With the gold accepted, the gatekeeper moved to his control panel, where a complex series of arcane runes and sigils were embedded. He started a chant in a language that was alien to the ears of most, the arcane energy around us pulsating and intensifying with each word. The energy filled the gate, turning it into a vortex of swirling, shimmering colors.

Kuroko seemed a bit hesitant, her feline eyes wide at the spectacle. But Lila, ever the helpful one, patted her on the back, offering her a reassuring smile. Sera stood there in her usual composed manner, although I could spot the anticipation in her eyes.

Gathering our courage, we stepped forward. As we did, the world around us twisted and warped. It felt like being pushed and pulled from all sides at once. The sensation was intense, like plunging into a cold lake, the shock making you momentarily breathless.

Then, as sudden as it had begun, it stopped. The sensation subsided, leaving us standing in a similar gate at our destination. Wyndham's teleportation gate was busy, with people appearing and disappearing in flashes of light, a stark contrast to the relatively calm gate we had left behind.

We stepped out of the gate, blinking in the bright sunlight. The bustling city of Wyndham lay before us, its tall buildings, busy streets, and colorful marketplaces promising a new adventure.

Q: Do you think its money well spent?