[40] Reply

Settled back in the opulence of our presidential suite, Sera's frown was a stark contrast to the gilded furnishings surrounding us. Her arms crossed over her chest, her eyebrows knitting together in clear skepticism.

"Alright, Chang, explain yourself. Why the grand announcement?" she demanded, her eyes reflecting her curiosity mixed with irritation.

"Well, you know what they say, rumors spread like wildfires," I started, leaning back against the plush velvet of the suite's chaise longue, "In a place as rife with gossip as the black market, the news of my offer will reach the thief's ears in no time."

"And you're sure this thief will be able to find us?" Sera's tone was filled with incredulity, her eyes narrowing in challenge, a typical tsundere reaction.

I couldn't help but let out a chuckle at her skepticism. "Sera, if the thief was skilled enough to make off with a jewel worth ten million gold, then locating us won't be much of a challenge for him. The city's not that big, and we haven't exactly been keeping a low profile," I retorted with a hint of amusement in my voice.

Sera huffed and turned her gaze away, the rosy hue on her cheeks revealing her grudging acceptance of my reasoning. "Fine, just make sure your plan doesn't-" before she could finish her sentence.

A dagger embedded itself into the rich wooden flooring of the suite with a muted thunk, the shock causing the goblets on the nearby table to tremble slightly. Tied to the hilt of the dagger was a neatly folded piece of parchment, an unspoken promise of communication from the elusive thief.

"Looks like word has reached him already." I said, a slow grin spreading across my face, the excitement of the unfolding situation palpable.

I strode forward and gingerly tugged the dagger free, the floor underneath it marred by a fresh scar. As I unfurled the parchment, a cryptic message presented itself in delicate, fluid handwriting.

"To the one known as Zahare Decor,

The prize you seek, the Star of Veldrian, is indeed in my possession. Your proposition piqued my interest. I propose we meet under the cover of tomorrow's night, at the bridge crossing the Veridian River.

One piece of advice, come alone.

9 Lives."

The crisp handwriting and succinct phrasing pointed towards a thief who was not only bold but dangerously confident. I lowered the letter, my smile never leaving my face. It seemed that our mission was about to take an interesting turn.

"What are you smiling at?" Sera raised a brow.

"It's time to meet to put the cat in the bag." I grinned.

Q: Have you ever ran into thieves IRL?