[28] Bargain

The open air market of Veridian was a pulsing, vibrant organism in itself, a colorful assortment of stalls lined up neatly in rows with the sellers hawking their wares at the top of their voices. The marketplace was bustling with life, packed to the brim with merchants, buyers, adventurers, and locals alike.

Each stall was a mini universe in itself, an explosion of colors, smells, and textures. The vendors were as varied as the goods they sold. There were stalls of fresh produce from the nearby farms, the succulent smell of ripe fruits mingling with the earthy aroma of vegetables. There were also stalls filled with fabrics in every color imaginable, from silk to cotton, wool to leather.

Further down were the weapon smiths, their stalls showcasing a dazzling array of weaponry. The air here was heavy with the scent of metal and oil. The harsh clanging sounds of blacksmiths hammering metal echoed through the marketplace. Swords, axes, daggers, bows, shields, and more exotic weapons were displayed proudly, their polished surfaces catching the sunlight and making them gleam.

To the right was a lane of food stalls, the air here filled with mouthwatering aromas. From the sizzling of fresh meat on a grill to the rich, sweet smell of pastries, the array of culinary delights was endless.

The noise of the market was a symphony of life, an amalgamation of shouted sales pitches, the clinking of coins, the laughter and banter of customers, and the general hum of a city going about its daily life. Walking into the open air market was like stepping into the very heart of Veridian, experiencing the city in its raw and unfiltered form.

Approaching a sturdy blacksmith's stall filled with beautifully crafted weapons, I caught the attention of the burly dwarf working there. His muscular arms were covered in soot and his beard was singed at the ends, a clear sign of his profession.

"Good day to you, blacksmith," I greeted, stepping up to the stall and eyeing the assortment of weapons laid out before me.

The dwarf grunted in response, setting down his hammer and wiping his sweaty brow with the back of his hand. "Good day to ya too. What can I help you with?"

"I need a new sword," I announced, running my eyes over the gleaming blades, each one a testament to the blacksmith's skill.

"Aye? And what're ye looking for exactly? Something swift and sharp, or heavy and brutal?" The dwarf folded his thick arms over his chest, evaluating me with a thoughtful squint.

"I need something balanced. A weapon that's light enough for quick movements but has enough weight to deliver powerful blows." I replied, meeting his gaze.

"Hmm..." The dwarf turned and began rummaging through his wares, pulling out various swords and inspecting them before finally, he selected one and handed it to me. "Try this one," he said, a glint of pride in his eyes.

I held the sword, feeling its weight, and practicing a few swings. It felt perfect, a natural extension of my arm. "I'll take it," I said, nodding to the blacksmith.

"Good choice. That one's one of my finest works," the dwarf said with a satisfied smile, quoting the price for the sword.

"That'll be 300 gold pieces," the dwarf said, looking quite pleased with himself.

I paused, studying the sword's fine craftsmanship. "300 gold is a bit steep," I replied, gauging his reaction.

"It's worth every piece, lad," the blacksmith assured me, his eyes never leaving the sword. "Took me a week to craft that one. The finest mithril, perfectly balanced, and sharper than a dragon's tooth."

"I don't deny the quality," I replied, appreciating the blade's edge and the evident skill that went into its creation. "However, I can offer you 100 gold pieces."

The dwarf balked, nearly choking on his own spit. "100 gold? Are ye joking? I couldn't possibly part with it for such a pittance!"

"I understand your position," I started, returning his gaze steadily. "But, you see, I'm on a bit of a budget. 100 gold is what I can afford. It's a fair offer for a sword of this quality."

He looked skeptical, rubbing his thick beard thoughtfully. "Lad, I have mouths to feed, I can't just give away my work..."

"Think about it this way," I interjected before he could go further. "If I buy this sword, I'll use it, people will see it. They'll ask where I got such a fine blade, and I'll direct them here. You won't just sell a sword, you'll gain potential customers."

The dwarf's eyebrows lifted in consideration, a sparkle in his eyes as he pondered my words. He looked from me to the sword and back again, silent for a long moment. "Alright, lad. 100 gold it is. But ye best be tellin' people where you got it."

Relieved, I handed him the gold and took my new sword. "Thank you. I promise, people will hear about your work." With that, I left the stall, my new weapon secured at my side, ready for whatever adventures awaited us.

Q: Are you good at bargaining?