[105] I will be your hero

As the carriage came to an abrupt stop, Sera darted out before I could reach out to her. She took off down the dimly lit alleyway, her silhouette disappearing into the shadows. I followed closely behind, my heart heavy with guilt.

Rounding a corner, I found her. Sera had crumpled into a ball in the corner of the alley, her shoulders shaking as sobs wracked her body. Silently, I moved to sit beside her, the cold stone wall pressing into my back.

"We... We were so close," she managed to stutter out between choked sobs. Each word felt like a punch to my gut.

"I know," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry, Sera. It's my fault... We'll get him next time." I hoped my words would offer her some comfort, but the heavy silence that followed told me they hadn't.

Trying to lighten the weight of the moment, I spoke softly, "We may not have been able to avenge your family tonight, Sera, but because of your actions, we managed to save many others."

At this, she turned to look at me, one eye peeking out from behind her cascading hair. Her tear-streaked face seemed to search mine for any sign of dishonesty. "Really?" Her voice was small, almost hesitant, as if afraid to grasp at the shred of hope I was offering.

"Yes," I confirmed, placing a comforting hand on her trembling shoulder. The warmth of my touch seemed to break through her despair, her eyes softening slightly. The pain was still there, raw and glaring, but for the first time tonight, it was not the only thing in her gaze. There was hope, however small and frail.

Her gaze was soft yet penetrating, her eyes glistening with the remnants of tears that clung to her long lashes. "You said... You said you'd be my hero..." she began, each word laced with a vulnerable hope. "You... You'll keep your promise, right?"

Each syllable was a plea, a desperate call for assurance that she wasn't alone in this battle. I could feel her pain echoing in the hollow silence between us.

With a firm nod and a soft look in my eyes, I squeezed her shoulder comfortingly, "Yes," I confirmed, my voice unwavering, "I will be your hero, Sera. As long as I live." I gave her a resolute look, a silent vow echoing in my words.

Her statement, half-chiding, half-playful, ended with a swift punch to my arm, her knuckles bouncing lightly against the muscle there. It was a punch more of camaraderie than of actual annoyance, a physical extension of the bond that had formed between us.

"Ugh, you better keep that promise, dummy!" she exclaimed, her voice softened by a playful note, her lips curved in a tiny smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

Before I could respond, she threw herself into my chest, her slender form practically disappearing in the circle of my arms. Her forehead pressed against my sternum, her hair tickling my chin as she buried her face deeper into the fabric of my shirt.

My arms instinctively went around her, wrapping her in a protective embrace. My fingers brushed against the soft fabric of her clothes, and I could feel her body relaxing under my touch.

The hustle and bustle of the city continued around us, oblivious to our little sanctuary in the alleyway. The world didn't stop turning, but for a moment, it felt like time was standing still for the two of us.

We just stood there, holding each other in the solitude of the alley, our shared warmth a comforting presence against the chill of the night air. It was a long, drawn-out moment, one where words were unnecessary, our actions speaking volumes more.

Q: How would you comfort someone?