[17] Bounty

Staring at the bounty poster, I saw Sera's gaze shift towards me. Her violet eyes danced with amusement as she let out a chuckle.

"Well, aren't you popular," she teased, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "A hundred thousand gold for your head. Who knew you were so valuable, Chang?"

I glanced at her, raising an eyebrow. "What can I say?" I replied, a smirk pulling at the corners of my lips. "People just can't get enough of me."

"And to think, all this time, I thought I was using you as bait," she shot back, crossing her arms over her chest. "Turns out you're worth more than just a little amusement."

"Sera, Sera," I tsked, shaking my head. "You should know by now not to judge a book by its cover. Or, in this case, a man by his tier."

She huffed, rolling her eyes at me, but a small smile played on her lips. "You're insufferable, you know that?"

"Insufferably charming, you mean," I countered, grinning at her. "I think that's why you're still hanging around."

"Keep dreaming, Chang," she retorted, but I could see the laughter in her eyes. "But maybe you're not as useless as I thought. So, who's our next mark?"

I looked down at the poster in my hand. "That's for me to know, and you to find out," I said, a mysterious smile playing on my lips.

Just then two towering figures stepped inside the guild hall.

"We are looking for this man," the demon guard announced, holding up the wanted poster for all to see. His crimson eyes scanned the room, his gaze sharp and intimidating.

"Known as the Hooded Man," he continued, his voice echoing throughout the guild hall. "He's been seen in various parts of the city. Allegedly involved in a failed assassination attempt. If anyone has any information regarding his whereabouts, they are required to report to the local authorities immediately."

The beastkin guard, a massive figure covered in thick, dark fur, growled in agreement. His yellow eyes shone brightly against his dark face, giving him an eerie, predatory look.

"His crimes are grave. The price on his head is a hundred thousand gold," the beastkin added, his deep, rumbling voice causing a few people to jump. "Be warned, he is very dangerous. Approach with caution."

The room was filled with uneasy murmurs as the adventurers shared concerned glances with one another. I exchanged a glance with Sera, a smirk tugged at the corners of my mouth.

"Exciting, isn't it?" I whispered to her, "They seem to think I'm a big bad wolf."

"Keep it down, you idiot," Sera hissed back, jabbing me in the ribs. But there was a flicker of amusement in her violet eyes. "Just remember, you're the one who dragged me into this mess."

"Wouldn't have it any other way, Sera," I replied, giving her a teasing wink.

As the guards turn their backs, I noticed Sera was looking at them with a crystal orb, a moment later she put away with crystal orb with a frustrated sigh.

"2 more A ranked guards? That would make my revenge even harder!" Sera slammed her hand on the table.

Sera's agitation was palpable. She clenched her fists, her knuckles turning white. "They're just adding more and more obstacles to my path," she muttered, her violet eyes shimmering with defiance.

I watched her for a moment, trying to gauge her emotions. "Well, obstacles do make the journey more interesting," I said, leaning back in my chair.

"Interesting?" She echoed incredulously. "Interesting for you, maybe. You're not the one who has a vendetta!"

Her outburst had drawn a few glances from the nearby tables, but I simply shrugged. "True," I conceded, "But those guards are here for me, aren't they? I suppose we both have our challenges."

She scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "You have no idea," she muttered. "This isn't a game, Chang. I have to avenge my family."

"I know, Sera," I said, my voice softening. "And I promise, we will make them pay. But panicking won't help us achieve our goal. We have to remain calm and formulate a plan."

Her tense posture eased a little, but she was still frowning. "You're right," she said finally, her voice barely more than a whisper. "I... I need to calm down. We need to plan."

"And I got just the plan." I grinned. "But before I can execute that plan, I need you to do something first..."

Q: Are you a rash person?