[97] Back to the grind

Early the next morning, we disembarked from the White Phoenix, our flying ship, which we had landed near the entrance to the abyss. We each carried our packs, filled with necessary equipment, provisions, and potions, as we made our way to the ominous entrance. The vast, gaping mouth of the abyss was as daunting as ever, its darkness an echo of the unknown challenges that lay in wait within.

The trek down the winding paths and deep stairways of the Abyss Dungeon was long and arduous, each floor presenting its unique challenges. We passed by the vast mushroom forests of the 6th floor, the towering fungi casting long shadows over the forest floor, their caps glowing in iridescent colors under the low light.

The moment we set foot on the 7th floor, the air turned heavy with a sense of decay. The remnants of a once grand city lay in ruins around us, its dilapidated buildings and fallen statues telling stories of its forgotten glory. The silence here was almost eerie, the once bustling city now reduced to a ghost town.

The giant gaiko, our faithful pack animal, hissed nervously as we unloaded our gear, its large, bulbous eyes darting around the deserted cityscape. I adjusted my limiter to S tier, and with a firm nod, we steeled ourselves for what was to come.

There was a sense of familiarity yet a renewed determination in our stride as we ventured deeper into the haunting silence of the 7th floor of the Abyss Dungeon. This journey was another step towards achieving our goals, and we were prepared to face whatever lay ahead.

"Sera, Kuroko," I began, looking at each of them in turn. "You two have pushed your limits, and have managed to reach S tier. Your growth has been phenomenal."

Sera, her long, silver hair shimmering in the dim glow of the surroundings, huffed and crossed her arms. Her eyes, usually cold and focused, softened for a moment. She glanced in my direction, a faint blush crossing her cheeks before she turned her head quickly away. "Well, it was about time...Not that I care what you think," she muttered, the classic tsundere attitude shining through her response.

Beside her, Kuroko smirked, a playful glint in her eyes that betrayed her feisty nature. Her long, wavy black hair was tied back into a loose ponytail, giving a clear view of her pointed, cat-like ears - a clear indication of her beastkin heritage. "Well, well, finally getting some recognition," she chuckled, swishing her tail back and forth. "But remember, we ain't done just yet."

I nodded at both of them, a smile playing on my lips. "Of course. We're just getting started." I then turned to Aurelia, the pride in my voice evident. "Aurelia, you've outdone us all and reached SS tier. Your spirit is unparalleled."

Aurelia, with her golden eyes and long, free-flowing blue hair, let out a boisterous laugh, her pride and confidence radiating around her. "Well, it was about time someone recognized my greatness," she replied smugly, a beaming smile plastered on her face. Her boastful declaration earned light-hearted groans from the rest of us, and despite the circumstances, the camaraderie between us was palpable.

***

Gathering up our belongings and the battle-worn giant gaiko, we emerged from the gloomy depths of the abyss dungeon into the bustling activity of the surface town. The town was always in a constant state of motion; a perpetually spinning wheel of trade, chatter, and the clanging of metal from blacksmiths. The glaring sunlight was a stark contrast to the shadowy gloom of the dungeon, causing us to squint momentarily.

We returned the trusty giant gaiko to the rental shop, expressing our gratitude for the creature's service. The shopkeeper, an elderly man with a wrinkled face etched with time, welcomed us back warmly and took the creature back with a promise of a thorough rest and care.

We then made our way through the town, navigating through the crowded marketplaces and quaint stone-paved streets. As we approached the outskirts, the grand expanse of the flying docks opened up before us. A mishmash of ships of all shapes and sizes floated in the sky, tethered securely to the ground. There, amongst them, was our flying ship: the White Phoenix.

The White Phoenix was a magnificent ship, with an elegant, sleek build. Its hull was painted a brilliant white, accented with ornate golden details. The wings spread wide, imbued with magical crystals that shimmered in different hues. A figurehead of a Phoenix, wings spread wide in flight, adorned the prow of the ship, a symbol of rebirth and resilience.

Climbing aboard, we were welcomed by the familiar sight of the ship's deck, with its well-maintained wooden planks and the wheel at the helm. As we settled in, I navigated to the helm, my hands confidently gripping the wheel. I could feel the powerful thrum of magic coursing through the ship, ready to propel us through the skies.

"Where are we going this time master?" Lila asked.

"I have a vague idea who is behind all this." I said with a stern expression. "And I know just where to find him."

"Where?" Sera raised a brow.

After a pause, I spoke up:

"The free city of Mamoth, right next to Erindale."

Q: Do you like travelling on a cruise ship?