5. Home Sweet Home

Arjun's POV

The car ride home was awfully quiet

The car ride home was awfully quiet. I expected Shruthi to talk about something. Anything at all. But she didn't say a word. The Shruthi I knew wasn't like this. She was such a jovial and outgoing person and it hurt me to see her like this. Did she change after going to Scotland or did she just grow up? I couldn't help but wonder if I'm also part of the reason she is like this now. That breaks me even more.

I took the long way home in the hopes that she will eventually talk but she didn't utter a word throughout the whole ride. I knew if I talked she would talk but I didn't want her to feel obligated to talk to me so I figured she would talk when she's ready. But she never did. And I didn't force her either

So instead of talking I spend the whole ride focusing on the road and her simultaneously. She didn't even look at the front, she was staring at the window the whole time. I guess she was just thinking about the whoem situation. Just like I was. I still couldn't believe that she was my wife now.

Ever since we left the hall she's been looking out the window. I wondered what she was thinking. She didn't even say goodbye to her parents. But it makes sense because to her they went hm against her wishes and got her married. She only talked to Aarav and her friend. She didn't even seem emotional the whole time. I had thought when women got married they would cry their hearts out but she was different.

She didn't say anything to her parents but her mom was holding her hands. I know she would be angry at them for forcing her into a marriage but surely they will miss each other now that's she's married right? Or maybe I was wrong. That was another thing I had to figure out about. I had a lot to learn about Shruthi and I had a lot of time too. I sensed there was something deeper about that and when the time comes I'll find out.

I will fix it if it's the last thing I do.

When we reached my home, my parents had arrived before us just like I expected but unfortunately my mom questioned me on why we were late and I was embarrassed that she asked me in front of Shruthi. I didn't think she'd notice but of course she does.

I felt Shruthi's gaze on me but I avoided looking in her direction. I didn't want her to know I purposely took the longer route for her so I just told my mom it was to her time to prepare. I didn't like lying but some situations can't be handed the truth.

After that we did some rituals and we were done for the day and my mom sent us off to rest after dinner. I went to wash my hands when my mom was telling Shruthi where my room was because she hasn't been here since we renovated the whole house. That was when I realized we would be sleeping in the same room. It struck me odd that Shruthi knows nothing about me or this house.

Of course we would. We were husband and wife now.

By the time, I went back to the kitchen Shruthi had already left to find my room. And I followed behind her. She found the room but didn't go in immediately. She stared at the door for some time and placed her hand on the knob and walked it. I watched her silently and followed her in.