42. Betrayal

Arjun's POV

As we entered our room, the weight of unspoken tension hung heavy in the air

As we entered our room, the weight of unspoken tension hung heavy in the air. Shruthi's question sliced through the silence, stirring the unease that had settled within me.

"Arjun, why didn't you tell me about the wedding before?" she asked, her voice a mix of curiosity and mild frustration.

I met her gaze, feeling the weight of her scrutiny. "Angel, we were both swamped with work, and I honestly wasn't sure if I'd even attend the wedding," I explained, attempting to justify my silence.

But Shruthi wasn't convinced. "Arjun, communication is key in a marriage. We should have discussed it," she insisted, her tone gentle yet firm.

Running a hand through my hair, I felt the weight of her disappointment settle upon me. "I know, Angel. I'm sorry. I just thought it would be simpler to handle it on my own," I confessed, my voice tinged with regret.

Her arms crossed, a subtle sign of her frustration. "But Arjun, we're in this together. You shouldn't have shut me out," she argued, her concern evident in her eyes.

I hesitated, grappling with the internal turmoil that churned within me. "I didn't want to burden you with unnecessary drama," I admitted, my gaze falling to the floor.

Shruthi stepped closer, her hand reaching out to gently touch my arm. "Arjun, whatever it is, we face it together. You don't have to carry the weight alone," she reassured me, her voice a soothing balm to my troubled soul.

But the truth weighed heavily on my heart, and I hesitated to share it with her. "There are some things, Angel... Some things that are better left unsaid," I murmured, my reluctance evident in my tone.

Her brows furrowed, confusion knitting her features. "Arjun, I trust you. Whatever it is, we'll figure it out together," she insisted, her unwavering support a beacon of light in the darkness.

Taking a deep breath, I met her gaze, finding solace in the warmth of her eyes. "Alright, Angel. If you're sure... we'll face it together," I agreed, a weight lifting from my shoulders as I embraced the comfort of her presence.

Shruthi smiled, her eyes softening with understanding. "That's what marriage is all about, Arjun. Understanding each other," she reminded me, her words a gentle reminder of the vows we had exchanged.

As we prepared for bed, the events of the day weighed heavily on my mind. But with Shruthi by my side, I felt a sense of peace wash over me, knowing that together, we could weather any storm that came our way.

I realized that she wasn't going to budge so, wanting to ease the strain that seemed to hover over us, I decided to offer a practical suggestion to Shruthi.

"Angel, since you're set on going to the wedding, why not make the best of it?" I proposed, hoping to shift the focus from the potential family drama to something more positive.