11. The Discussion

Arjun's POV

What was wrong with me?You're welcome to stay though

You're welcome to stay though.

Who even says that? I was supposed to drive her away not bring her hopes up. Not only that, now she's gonna think I'm some horny idiot  desperate for her. That's the last thing I want. She might be my wife but the wife itself is just a word for me. Nothing else.

Shruthi needed to realize that and I saying such stuff wouldn't help the situation. I ran a hand over my face exasperated and went to the living room and waited for the other two ladies to arrive.

The aroma of freshly made chapathi filled the house. The dining room was adorned with the soft glow of moonlight streaming through the curtains, creating an ambiance of familial comfort. I went to the table and sat down waiting for Shruthi to come. Soon she came and sat beside on on an empty chair. She avoided my eye and I was glad she couldn't even look at me. She left playing with the hem of her kurti and looked down at her lap. I noticed that she does this a lot.

My mother entered and looked at us with a twinkle in her eye. She set the plates for us and served us. This was new. Ma normally eats with us not serve us. But I sat silently while she did her work. She made herself a plate and sat down across from us and gestured us to eat. I ate first and Shruthi followed suit.

With a gentle smile, Ma broached the topic that had been on her mind, and suggested, "You know, it's high time you both visited Shruthi's parents. We have rituals to do also. Why not plan a weekend there? It's important for families to spend time together, especially in the early days of marriage."

I had no opinion on this. I didn't want to discuss about my in-laws much less go meet them. However, as I turned to glance at Shruthi, her gaze flickered, and a hint of uncertainty crossed her features, and I noticed a fleeting shadow in her eyes, a subtle hesitation that lingered beneath the surface.

Ma sensing something unsaid, directed her attention to Shruthi. "Shruthi, dear, is there anything on your mind? We want you to feel comfortable and happy about the visit."

Shruthi, meeting my gaze, voiced her thoughts with a mixture of honesty and vulnerability. "It's not that I don't want to visit; but... it's just that I feel a bit uneasy. I want to be honest. Can we perhaps plan it for another time, maybe in a few weeks, when I'm more settled? Or do we have to do the rituals at once?"

I glanced at her surprised. I know she didn't approve of this marriage either. It was evident from the look on her face on the day of the wedding. However, I thought she would want to go to her parents house, escape from here but here she was asking if we can delay the rituals.

Ma rather than pushing the agenda, responded with a reassuring nod and a comforting smile. "Of course, Shruthi. There's no pressure. We want this to be a positive experience for you. Whenever you're ready, we'll plan it together."