43. Lies Tears Sorrys

Shruthi's POV

As I stormed into the house, my heart heavy with hurt and frustration, I couldn't bear to face anyone, not even Lea, who greeted me with a concerned expression

As I stormed into the house, my heart heavy with hurt and frustration, I couldn't bear to face anyone, not even Lea, who greeted me with a concerned expression. She could see the tears welling up in my eyes but I couldn't bring myself to even talk to her now.

"What happened, Anni? Why are you crying?" Lea's voice was filled with genuine concern as she reached out to touch my arm, but I recoiled, unable to find the words to explain.

"Nothing, Lea. I'm fine," I muttered, my voice barely above a whisper as I hurried past her, my only wish to get to our room as quickly as I can and shut myself out.

I didn't wait for Arjun, didn't want to face him just yet. With trembling hands, I pushed open the door to our room and shut it behind me. I leaned heavily against it, feeling the cool wood against my back. With a heavy heart and tear-streaked cheeks, I slowly slid down until I was sitting on the floor, my legs pulled up to my chest.

Everything felt like it was falling apart, and I didn't know how to pick up the pieces. Hurt and confusion was swirling inside me like a storm. I hugged my knees tightly, trying to hid away in the darkness.

Each breath felt labored, each heartbeat echoing the ache in my chest. I felt so lost, so betrayed by the one person I thought I could always rely on. In the silence of the room, I let the tears flow freely, allowing the emotions to wash over me like a tidal wave.

As I sat there, enveloped in despair, I heard a faint knocking at the door. "Shruthi, please, open the door," Arjun's voice pleaded from the other side, his tone laced with desperation.

I hesitated, unsure whether to respond. Part of me longed to let him in, to just fall into his arms and breakdown. But another part, hurt and betrayed, was scared at the thought of facing him again.

Ignoring his pleas, I remained silent, hoping that he would take the hint and leave me alone. But the knocking continued, each rap against the door echoing in the stillness of the room.

"Shruthi, please," Arjun's voice came again, softer this time, tinged with sorrow. "I need to talk to you. Please, just open the door."

His words tugged at my heartstrings, stirring a mixture of guilt and longing within me. But despite the ache in my chest, I couldn't bring myself to move, couldn't bear to face him in that moment.

As the minutes stretched on, the knocking eventually ceased, replaced by a heavy silence that hung in the air like a thick blanket. Alone in the darkness, I curled up tighter, not knowing what to do now.

Just when I thought he had finally given up and left me alone, I heard the soft creak of a door opening from the adjacent room. My heart raced fast as I realized that Arjun had come in through his cabin.

I watched in silence as he stepped through the connecting door, his figure cast in the dim light filtering through the room. He moved with a quiet determination, his steps deliberate yet gentle as he approached me.