37. Miss him

Shruthi's POV

In the midst of my pediatric clinic, where colorful posters adorned the walls and the hum of animated chatter usually filled the air, I found myself preoccupied with thoughts of Arjun

In the midst of my pediatric clinic, where colorful posters adorned the walls and the hum of animated chatter usually filled the air, I found myself preoccupied with thoughts of Arjun. It was one of those days when the distance between us felt particularly pronounced, and I struggled to shake off the distraction.

A delightful interruption came in the form of a 5-year-old patient with a head full of bouncing curls and eyes that sparkled with curiosity. Meera was my favorite patient out of all them and she was my youngest too.

As I entered the room, the little one looked up from her spot, sensing the subtle change in my demeanor.

"Dr. Shruthi, en innaiku romba sogama irukinga? " Meera inquired, her small voice filled with genuine concern.
(Dr. Shruthi, why do you look a little sad today?)

I crouched down to her eye level, touched by her concern for me. "Unnaku theriyumle sila neram enna maari periyavangalum avangaloda friends ah miss pannuvaanga. Naanum innaiku oruthare miss pandren," I shared with a wistful smile.
(Well, you know, sometimes even grown-ups miss their friends. And today, I'm missing someone special)

Meera's eyes widened, curiosity piqued. "Unga friendah?" she asked, her expression a mix of sympathy and innocence.
(Is it your friend?)

"Aama," I replied, nodding. "Aana unna maari superahna kozhanthaigala paakum pothu naa romba romba santhosam aayiruven."
(Yes it is, but meeting lovely patients like you always makes me so happy.)

The young one seemed determined to lift my spirits. Meera hopped off the examination table and started rummaging through the toy box. "En best friend teddy pathi ennaku oru comedyahna story irukku," she began, her eyes shining with excitement.
(I have a funny story about my best friend, Teddy)

As she recounted tales of imaginary adventures and laughter, the atmosphere in the room transformed. The walls seemed to embrace the warmth of their storytelling, and the once-distracted air became filled with the joy of shared narratives.

Encouraged by the Meera's enthusiasm, I found myself drawn into her world of imagination. We swapped stories, giggled at the silliest jokes, and before I knew it, the clinic room had become a haven of joy and connection.

Before leaving, Meera looked up at me, her eyes brimming with sincerity. "Neenga unga friendah seekiram paakanumnu naa kadavul kitta kekuren Dr. Shruthi. Friends ellathaiyum super aakiruvaanga, ungaluku ellame super aayirum!"
(I hope you see your friend soon, Dr. Shruthi. Friends make everything better, and soon everything will be better for you!)

Her heartfelt words lingered in the air, leaving behind a trail of warmth. As the door closed, I couldn't help but smile, grateful for the simple yet most wise things that the children here often share.

Along with their wholesome tales and innocent compassion, the clinic had become a brighter place, reminding me of the importance of cherishing both the little moments and the cherished connections in life.