1. The Wedding

Shruthi's POV

A tear dropped down as Arjun tied the thaali around my neck

A tear dropped down as Arjun tied the thaali around my neck. He then put the red kungumam on my head and on the thaali. That's it. I was married. I was no longer Shruthi Chandrasekhar. I was Shruthi Venketraman. The Wife of Arjun Venketraman.

And Arjun was no stranger to me. He was my brother Aarav's best friend. But now he was my husband. Yes I just married my very own brother's best friend. It's funny how the world works in ways to bring the make the most impossible things possible.

A wedding is a dream for many girls. It was one of my dreams too. Along with my career the next thing I wanted was a marriage of my choice which was a love marriage. I never got the love everyone gets from their parents. I always craved true unconditional love because of that. Unfortunately in this society especially in the Indian community it was frowned upon and was seen as a disgrace to my culture.

I was satisfied with the career part of my life because I had followed my dreams to become a doctor and worked hard towards it to become a pediatrician despite my parents wishes. You would think as a Indian my parents would have wanted me to become a doctor alas no.

My father was a well known business man and the CEO of CG Group of Companies and he wanted me to complete MBA so I can take over the family business one day along with my older brother. But it had always been my dream to become a doctor and it took a lot of convincing them but with the support of my brother I became a doctor. I chose this line of medicine because I have always felt happy around children and I wanted to save children.

Sure studying medicine came with a lot of stress and setbacks but hard work together with my determination I achieved my goal and became my doctor. But little did I know that's where my freedom ended. Even though my parents allowed me to study the course of my choice it had some disadvantages. For example, now I was being forced into an Arranged marriage.

Apparently according to my parents I never had a say in my marriage and it was decided years ago on who I would marry. Or at least that I didn't have a say in my own marital life.

Funny how your whole life can change in the span of few days.

A few days ago...

I had just finished my shift in the hospital and I came home to an empty house. "Amma! Appa enga irukkinga? Aarav neeyachum irukkiya? ".
(Mom? Dad? Where are you? Aarav are you here at least?)

I had no response so I assumed they were out and went to my room and took a shower. By the time I was done, I heard the car coming and I went to the entrance to open the door for my parents.

When I went there, my mom and dad were coming out of the car but they were wearing traditional clothes. My mom was in a saree and my dad in his veshti. This was confusing for me as I didn't recall that day being an auspicious day or someone's birthday. So I waited for them to enter before I asked them questions.