19. A Day as CEO's Wife

Shruthi's POV

Two weeks had slipped away like elusive shadows, and the silence between Arjun and me had deepened into an abyss of emotional disconnect and had become an unspoken weight in our home

Two weeks had slipped away like elusive shadows, and the silence between Arjun and me had deepened into an abyss of emotional disconnect and had become an unspoken weight in our home. It wasn't just the absence of words, it was the deliberate act of being ignored that left a palpable void in our interactions and it was the stark realization that the void had grown wider, swallowing any remnants of the connection we once hoped to forge. I think everyone else also started to realize it as they all look between us whenever we are with them but they don't bring it up fortunately.

Mornings became a routine of hesitant attempts to engage him, met with curt responses that mirrored the chill of an indifferent winter breeze. Evenings unfolded in a silent dance of avoidance. They echoed with the lonely resonance of unanswered questions.

I even made dinner for the first time since I came here. I thought Arjun would eat my food even though we weren't on talking terms. I was so excited when I cooked because I was cooking for him. But as I sat down for dinner, the empty chair beside from me, once a symbol of shared meals, became a silent testament to the growing distance between us because for the first time Arjun didn't come home for dinner. I did not know if he knew I was cooking and purposely avoided coming home or he was just caught up in work. He has been working a lot recently and after a few days i realised it was to avoid me. When i had cooked, my father in law had chided me for making such a horrible dinner. I knew he was lying and just using this as an opportunity to scold me. However, i just bowed down listening to his hurtful words. After that i went to the room and cried, it was only then when i realised that i wasn't crying because of the words that my mama had spit out, but i was crying because Arjun wasn't there with me to defend me like last time.

In the quiet hours before sleep, the unspoken words now echoed loudly, punctuating the uncertainty that hung heavy in the air. The hollowness of his presence, felt even in shared spaces. His avoidance was a tangible force, creating a coldness that extended beyond mere words.

Each instance of being ignored felt like a rejection, leaving me questioning the foundation of our connection. The pain of being ignored wasn't just about the absence of closeness it was about the profound realization that we were now strangers entangled in the complexities of a relationship that had soured before it could forged.

I had tried calling a few times during the two weeks but he never picked up. I texted once but didnt bother after, because he left me on seen. The unanswered calls, the vacant stares, and the diminishing traces of his presence left me grappling with an unsettling mix of confusion and heartache. The silence screamed louder than any spoken words, leaving me to navigate the complexities of a relationship that now seemed shrouded in shadows of uncertainty.

It was Saturday and I was at home looking through my patients records on my laptop when I heard a notification chime on my phone. I leaned over the bed and took the phone to see the unexpected message was simple yet carried the weight of a seismic shift, "Bring the financial report file to my office."