51. First Priority

Shruthi's POV

As I made my way to work at the hospital, my mind buzzed with the memories of the night before

As I made my way to work at the hospital, my mind buzzed with the memories of the night before. Anxiously, I dialed Anandhi's number, my heart racing with anticipation and a touch of apprehension. As the phone rang, I chewed nervously on my bottom lip, wondering how my friend would react to the news.

"Hello?" Anandhi's voice came through the receiver, warm and curious.

"Hey, Anandhi, it's me," I began, my voice slightly shaky. "I... I have something to tell you."

Anandhi's tone shifted to one of concern. "Is everything okay, Shruthi? You sound a bit... off da."

Summoning my courage, I forged ahead. "Well, um... Arjun and I... we finally... you know..."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before Anandhi let out an excited squeal. "Oh my God, are you serious?! You and Arjun... together?!"

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips at her enthusiastic response. "Yeah, we... um, we did it last night."

Anandhi's excitement was obvious even through the phone. "That's amazing, Shruthi! I'm so happy for you! How was it? Was it everything you hoped for?"

Blushing at the memory, I nodded, even though Anandhi couldn't see me. "It was... incredible, Anandhi. I've never felt closer to him than I did in that moment."

Anandhi's voice softened with genuine happiness. "I'm so glad to hear that, Shruthi. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

Feeling a surge of gratitude, I thanked her before hanging up "Thank you, Anandhi. And thanks for being so supportive. I really appreciate it. Alright I'll talk to you soon, I reached the hospital".

As I arrived at the hospital, my dean greeted me with a smile, ushering me into his office.

"Shruthi, I have some news for you," he began, his tone carrying a sense of anticipation.

I settled into the chair opposite him, curious about what he had to say."
We're organizing a medical camp in Thanjavur," he explained, his eyes alight with enthusiasm. "It's a three-day trip to provide medical assistance to the rural communities there."

"We'll need all hands on deck," he continued, flipping through some papers on his desk.

"I'm counting on you to be an integral part of the team."

Even though excitement bubbled within me at the prospect of making an impact in underserved communities. Yet, beneath the surface, a wave of apprehension threatened to dampen my enthusiasm.

The memory of the unsettling incident during my last medical camp resurfaced, casting a shadow over my eagerness to participate. Despite my desire to contribute, a  sense of unease gnawed at my resolve.