2. Turn of Events

Shruthi's POV

A few days ago

A few days ago...

When I gained consciousness, I was on my bed and my family doctor uncle moorthy was there. When he noticed that I was awake he smiled at me and looked back to tell my parents, "there's nothing wrong with her. She just fainted because of stress. Nothing a good rest can't fix. You might have a headache so take this tablet if you feel like you have a migraine".

"Thanks uncle"

He smiled and said, "No problem ma just take care".

I nodded and made my bed more comfortable. Then they left my room with me and Aarav alone. Aarav sat down beside me and said, " Shruthi you don't have to go through with it if you don't want to. No one can force you. I'm always here for you".

But I just shook my head and said, " no Aarav they are willing to not make you CEO of the business. It's all you've been preparing for your whole life. I want nothing to do with the business but I know how much it means to you and I won't let them take that away from you".

My brothers eyes widened in shock and he asked, "Wait so are you really going to marry that Vijay?". I nodded and turned my face away so that he couldn't see my tears.

He took my hand and gave it a squeeze and said, "I'm sorry Shruthi I really wish there was a way for me to help you". I looked at him and said, " me too".

He gave me one last look and left the room leaving me to my own thoughts.

I started crying again. Ever since I heard this I couldn't control my feelings. I couldn't control my thoughts on how my life is going to be ruined.

I took my phone and dialed my best friend, Anandhi's number.

She picked up in one ring, "Hi da how are you? Ennalaam maranthutele? Phone panni 2 naal aachu!".
(You forgot about me right? It's been two days since you called!)

I smiled at her getting angry for fun before I remember my situation. I told her, " Sorry da I was really busy so couldn't call. I just called you to tell you something important".

I stopped there because I didn't know how to continue on. I couldn't form the words.

She asked, "Shruthi are you okay? Why you do sound dull? Is something wrong?".

I started crying and she immediately said, " ok thats it you're scaring me! I'm coming to your house", and hung up the phone.

I met Anandhi when I was doing pre-med, she was my roommate in Uni and we have been friends ever since. I studied medicine with her in Scotland and she was my constant throughout the years and I've been very grateful for her and her friendship. Even though we chose different specialisations she was there was me through thick and thin. I became a pediatrician while she became a psychiatrist.