Eustace's First Birthday

Erwin's POV

Three Months Later

December my least favorite month out of the entire year, snow floating from the sky to coat the cobble stone streets like little mountain's of mash potatoes, wind blowing as harshly as feeling icicles impale my skin not to mention the sun rarely shines allowing coolness to linger in the air, and as much I despised this weather it was my son's birthday.....Eustace.

I wanted to get off early to surprise my son, but another expedition was in the process of needing permission, signatures from the other branches needed to acknowledge my next action knowing we were wanting to venture out, strapping me down to my chair to await their approval.....not to mention the documents piling up on my table like a pyramid of apples.

Hopefully it shouldn't take me too long to verify and approve these documents......

But the problem is not the quality it's the quantity.

Just as I was about to dive into my paperwork a thump of knocking clamored the door like hearing a branch thump a window announcing a visitor where I reply with an "Enter", to spot the wooden door creak open as slowly as a snail sounding like opening a jar of jam, and once the entrance revealed itself into the hallway a face was not displayed.

Hmm? Strange the wind is strong enough to open the door but create a knocking sound?

Curiosity pinched my skin and invaded my bloodstream feeling question ponder my head wondering why the door suddenly opened out of nowhere?  I rose to my feet wanting to integrate more of the scene only to see the entrance empty like a walnut shell, until my eyes spotted the floorboard to see a little blonde toddler as tiny as a dwarf come trotting his way.

"Daddy! Daddy!" happily screeched Edwin as adorable as hearing a chicken squeak, prancing his way over towards me full of life like a bambi in the fields, I felt my entire body flood with ease from his arrival.

My son....

Edwin was charging at full speed as fast as a horse wearing a smile as warm and sunny as the morning sun a painting couldn't do just from his happiness, light blue eyes misty as fog shimmered like crystals as all my stress hammering my skull transformed into delight to me to see my son again.

"Edwin. What a lovely surprise!" I replied refusing to flatten my smile, immediately squatting myself to the ground to greet my son feeling his tiny body as little as a cub rub into my chest as soft as a pillow, curling my arms around his hips and thighs to secure him. "But how did you get here? Is Mommy around?"

I knew Edwin was limited to a few words and he couldn't pronounce full sentences, but engaging with a child helps them learn their language and improve their understanding, and every chance I got I would talk to him.

I refuse to remove my hug joyed by his arrival, lifting Edwin from the ground to feel as though I was holding a small squash, wanting to express my love for my son as I dove my lips closer toward his chunky face like a block of cheese, striking my lips against his cheek feeling his tender skin bathe me as soft as biting into a piece of bread where Edwin smiled as bright as a firefly in return I was in heaven to be with him.

I love my children more than life itself.

After releasing all my joy through my mouth, Edwin immediately attached his arms tiny as a cucumber to grope half of my neck like a neckless, nuzzling his head the size of a grapefruit to cuddle in between my neck and collarbone cushioning more bliss in me from his cuddle, but I also felt a sudden ache stab my chest realizing Edwin equally didn't want to let go.