So Long Jack

Erwin's POV

Three Months Later

Just as I was about to enter my office regarding some documents that need to be overlooked and verified, a familiar face swept past me as briskly as a broom collecting dust, boosting a wave of ease to infiltrate in since she was a good friend.

"Hanji!" I called towards the greasy brunette, generating alarm to rattle her as she jumped in the air looking like a horse spooked by a mouse from her fright.

"EEP!" she screamed in panic sounding like a little squirrel shrieking, though once her four eyes had synchronized me like an eagle she released a heavy sigh in relief. "Oh, Commander Smith, my apologies.....lately I have been distracted." she replied breathlessly sounding as though she had just been punched, but the moment her brown eyes met mine I instantly read right through her.
Her pupils were mellow like a rock in the sand as her iris the color of a coffee bean drifted like a floatie in a pool, facial muscles drooped like a plant without water, and dirt scattered along her cheeks as though it was a mask, provoking question to thump me from her sudden neglect.

I know Hanji isn't one for personal hygiene......but she looks dreadful, and if she says she has been distracted clearly something is on her mind.

Perhaps I can help an old friend.

My hand reaches the metal doorknob to rotate the knob clockwise revealing my office. "Do you need to talk Zoë? I can spare you a few minutes." I reply growing a smile along my lips satisfied with the behavior I presented.

Hanji declined her gaze to the floor as weakly as though her eyeballs were pulled from her sockets, even dropping her head down looking as though her backbone was snapped in half. "I would like that very much Commander." she muttered as lowly as hearing a nat buzz, entering herself in the office to look as depleted as a squeezed lemon, stimulating more compassion to develop in met help her.

Right away I follow her lead, shutting the door behind me as the two of us transfer our movement towards the windows where I had two comfortable lounge chairs facing one another like a chess match, giving us a painting over the city while discussing.

Hmmm I'm not sure what is troubling her, and I might not get an answer, but sometimes a stiff drink can cure anything.

"Do you want something to drink, Zoë?" I asked finding my buttocks to be eased by the softness of the feathers stitched in the chair, leaning my backside and forearms to relax deeper into the cushions of the chair.

Hanji kept her stare glued on the floorboard as sticky as slime not even blinking as she shook her head side to side like a hand fan causing her chunky glasses to slide forward down her nose like a sleigh on a steep hill.

I've never seen Hanji in such a gloomy mood, she's always positive and full of energy.........I wonder if it has something to do with Jack, loves ones can do that to us.

"How is your father these day's Hanji......"

Hanji continued to remain in silence looking as though she was being suffocated from lack of words, though she managed to lift her gaze to greet her soil dark brown ones to witness agony defeat her veins as her pupils dissolve like salt in water.

"He's not doing good Erwin.......the doctor said he only has a few more days, and then he'll be gone." she cried in pain sounding as miserable as though one of her arms had been ripped off, I felt shock obliterate my bloodstream as powerful as taking a bullet.

Death is not an easy process to cope with....and I have sympathy for anyone who undergoes it because we never truly get over losing the death of a loved one.