Repairing an Old Wound

Erica's POV

"Waaah, waahhhh, waahhh." weakly cried baby Edwin sounding as vulnerable as a rabbit caught in a snare, instantly calling my attention like hearing a whistle as my feet sprinted to the couch in worry.

Edwin!

I had reached my grandson, seeing his tiny body the size of an eggplant laid on his back with his arms out reaching the sky, and his legs moving back and forth noticing his warm fuzzy blanket
was kicked on the floor causing my bones to tremble from alarm since he was in distress

Poor baby!

Hastily I dive my hands to the floor grasping the furry blue blanket to then place the blanket over my right shoulder like a pad, then I circled back to Edwin gliding my hands under his back to lift up the tiny cucumber bringing him closer to my chest feeling his tender body sink into my collarbone as his gentle head leaned over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"Waaahh!!!" helplessly cried Edwin, sounding as humble as hearing a baby lamb call only reminding me how time flies because only a few decades ago my daughters were like this.

My entire life had flashed before my eyes feeling as battered as though a wooden bat had struck me upside the head, releasing all those locked up memories I had lived to suddenly reappear like fog.

The pain and terror I felt when my mother was on her death bed, the disappointment thickened in the back of my throat as though I ate a spoonful of sand not being able to be drafted, the confusion and alarm I had to decide to marry the Sinclair's or my mother dies. My wedding day, the joy I felt when both of my daughters were born and the sadness yet happiness I felt once they created their own families.

This life has gone by in a blink of an eye. Both of my daughters are married and have their own families, I am no longer a big part of their lives.

I'm an old woman, carrying her Grandson.....

I am happy for them, but sometimes I feel like my life means nothing without my girls.....I just wish I could spend more time with them like we used to, but we all live so far apart.

Tears begin to puddle in the corner of my eyes from gloom remembering long ago the amount of time we would spend together would be countless. The memories replayed constant in my head like a merry go round.....now it's only special occasions when we see each other.

Edwin continued to cry in distress sounding as loud as a horn blaring, realizing he may need some help on burping, forcing me to start swaying side to side in the motion of a boat colliding with the current as my free hand patted his back continuously hoping to soothe all the toxic gases infuriating his little tummy.

I can't be completely depressed about not spending time with my family.... I'm spending some time with my Grandson and I shouldn't complain.

As I attended to my grandson trying to make him burp more flashbacks only popped into my head like bubbles in a bath because my girls too started as tiny as a carrot to develop into two beautiful young ladies.

I remember how cute and chubby those girls' faces were when they were small, hair pulled back into two pigtails tied with ribbons, but they always spend their days playing outside in the woods for hours picking flowers to give to me.

Aurora always loved the forest and the beauty of nature, she got that from me. Bianca would only assist her Aurora because she wanted to try and compete with her in hide and seek....and the competition was from Jacob.

Funny how genes cross, with physical and cognitive traits....

A smile forms across my lips thinking about the innocence and bliss I spent with my daughters, causing tears to drizzle down my eyes since once again I could experience what that feels like once again....