[1] A special mission

As I pushed the massive wooden doors of the adventurer's guild hall open, a wall of noise crashed over me. The building was abuzz with the usual chatter of excited adventurers, the clinking of ale mugs, and the robust laughter that's expected in places like this. Though it was still early morning, the hall was alive with energy, filled with adventurers seeking quests and companions to share the dangers and the spoils.

But to them, I was a stranger - an untested noob.

"Looking for a team, friend?" A stout man with a broad axe strapped to his back chuckled, sizing me up with a quick glance. His brow furrowed in amusement as he took in my ragged gear and unblemished skin. "You'd better stick to the bunny quests."

A few nearby adventurers snickered, but I simply smiled, my eyes glinting with determination. "Actually, I was thinking of something a bit more...challenging."

His laughter echoed through the hall, drawing more attention. "Ha! A fresh face seeking death, eh?"

Maybe I had pushed too far, shown too much bravado. A noob wouldn't be this confident. I shrugged, playing along. "I'm not that green. Got a few quests under my belt. A team could help, though."

Still chuckling, the stout man clapped me on the shoulder. "Well, good luck, kid. You'll need it."

I watched him saunter away, then turned my attention back to the hall. I spotted a group in the corner, their table littered with maps and scrolls. They were deep in conversation, their faces serious. Something about them drew me in. A sense of camaraderie, perhaps, or their shared focus.

With my heart beating with feigned nervousness, I made my way to their table. "Hey," I said, injecting a note of uncertainty into my voice. "I'm looking for a team."

They looked up, their expressions ranging from amused to disinterested. I saw their eyes skim over me, taking in my basic gear. The silence lingered for a moment before one of them, a woman with fiery red hair, scoffed.

"And why would we want a newbie like you?"

I kept my gaze steady, not flinching at her harsh tone. "There's more to an adventurer then rank now."

She then looked at me through her crystal orb for a moment before setting it down. She then shared a glance with her companions, a silent conversation passing between them. Finally, she sighed, shaking her head. "Sorry, kid. We can't babysit."

"Who said anything about babysitting?" I retorted, my confidence slipping back into place. Their dismissive attitudes were starting to chafe, but I kept my emotions in check, reminding myself of my own disguise.

I made my rounds, table after table, adventurer after adventurer. But it was all the same - the chuckles, the dismissive glances, the veiled insults. No one was willing to take a chance on a noob. I could have revealed my power, proven them all wrong in an instant, but that would have defeated the purpose.

Instead, I returned to the entrance, leaning against the door, a seemingly defeated figure.

It was just like this the first time...

In this world, your worth was as visible as the clothes on your body. Strength, speed, stamina, mana, magic, health, defense, accuracy, agility, magic resistance — every element was vital. These individual stats were added and divided by ten to get your overall power level.

This method of calculation was a harsh reality, especially for newbies like me. Well, at least that's how it appeared. As I leaned against the massive doors, I could feel the weight of the power limiter hiding my true capabilities. Displayed power, 5. Which made me F tier. It was a joke to these adventurers.

Just as I was about to exit the bustling adventurer's hall, a quiet female voice called out to me.

"Can't find a party?"

I turned, looking down into the mysterious eyes of a woman, her features partially obscured by a hooded cloak.

"Yep." I nodded.

"Good, you can join my team. I also got a special quest on my hand."

"What kind?" I asked.

"Let's take this somewhere private. Follow me," she said in a low voice, her tone calm yet carrying an air of urgency. With a quick glance around, she led me away from the crowd and towards the back exit of the hall.

We made our way into a narrow, dimly-lit alleyway, away from the prying eyes and loud chatter of the hall. The woman paused, her gaze sharp on me.

"What is your name?" she asked.

"Chang." I replied.

"Promise me Chang, you won't tell anyone about this," she said, her tone stern.

I considered her, a spark of intrigue igniting within me. "I promise."

With a nod of satisfaction, she finally lowered her hood, revealing striking red eyes and a cascade of silver hair. There was a determined set to her jaw, a hard glint in her eyes that spoke of desperation.

"I have a job for you," she began, her voice barely above a whisper. My brow furrowed in confusion. What could this woman possibly want with an adventurer of my supposed level? Seeing my puzzled look, she added quickly, "It's not something I can ask of the others in there."

"What is it?" I asked, curiosity piqued. "This isn't your typical 'fetch quest' or 'slay the monster' type quest isn't it?"

"You are correct," she hesitated for a moment before her eyes hardened. "I need you to kill someone for me."

Q: What would you do if someone looks down on you in a video game?