Ch. 20 Promise Me

Death wraps its cold dead fingers around you in a suffocating grip. You don’t think what people say you think of, you don’t have time. You’re heart slows down beating one final time. You fall, if you were standing, to the ground. The world spins around you and then disappears. You hear voices, if you’re around people, calling your name and crying. That’s what it feels like to die.

Not that I would know. I’ve never died, or even been close.

The pain I waited for didn’t come. I heard a soft thud behind me, Mr. Newman hitting the ground. I heard my name being called. I turned to the head of the bridge. A row of FBI agents stood, guns drawn. One rushed forward and caught me as I fell to the ground. He smiled at me.

“It’s ok, Isabella, it’s all over.” He whispered. I wanted to cry, but I just smiled at him. His words lifted all my worries off my shoulders. I looked to Jace. A group of officers were surrounding him, helping him up and looking at his wound.

“Just a flesh wound,” I heard one tell him. I sighed.

“Are you alright? Can you stand?” The agent holding me asked. I nodded my head. “We’ve got them, we’ll need an ambulance.” He said into a walkie talkie on his shoulder. He hurried back to their cars. The other agents brought Jace over to where I stood. We sat on the bridge awaiting the ambulances to take us to the hospital.

I opened my eyes. I looked around confused. I was in a white room that smelled like medicine. My nose crinkled. There were tubes running up and down my arms. Why were they there? I looked to my left. My family was sleeping in the small seating area. Wow my room had a seating area. I’d seen rooms like these; they cost a ton of money. Maybe Mr. Dawson paid for it.

Andrew lay on a cot that they must have wheeled in. I figured I’d wake him up first.

“Andrew,” I whispered. He groaned and turned over. “Andrew,” I whispered again. He didn’t respond. “Andrew, get out of my room.” I ordered. His eyes snapped open.

“Izzy,” I shouted, nearly falling off the bed. He rushed me and wrapped his arms around my neck. He yanked a few tubes and the needles pulled at my skin.

“Ow, Andrew, take it easy!” I laughed, I hugged him back. I tried to squeeze him, but my body was too weak.

My parents were stirring in the corner. My father woke up first. His eyes welled with tears, which he abruptly wiped away. He wrapped me in a soft hug.

“Oh, Izzy, we missed you so much.” His voice was muffled by my hair. My mom came next. She squeezed me carefully. She didn’t say anything, just looked at me. She ran her hands down my cheeks, holding my eyes on hers. She handled me so carefully. Why was she being so careful?

Emma interrupted my thoughts when she wrapped her thin arms around my neck. She sobbed into my pillow. “Oh, Izzy, I was so scared!” She cried. I choked back the sarcastic reply that tingled behind my lips.

“Why do I have all these tubes?” I asked. My family smiled wearily at me.

Jace’s POV

When I woke up I looked around the room. I was in a hospital room. My leg was wrapped up. There was a single tube running into my arm. My parents were sitting with Alexis watching the T.V quietly. They didn’t see that I was awake. My dad changed the channel, Titanic flashed across the screen. He changed the channel again.

“Hey, I like that movie.” I whispered. My mom’s head snapped towards me.

“Jace,” Alexis shouted. She crawled off my mom’s lap and ran over to me. I pulled her up on my bed. She started to bounce up and down.