Peanut Butter Smoothies

The light coming in from the little umbrella above you makes your fingers itch for a paintbrush, but you don't even have a sketchbook with you. The sun seems to be pressing through the thick fabric, determined to cast itself upon the small table below. You sigh contentedly and look back at the line to see where Yoongi is now.

He is already at the counter ordering his iced Americano and your iced catnip tea. Catnip tea, it makes you purr out loud and the man at the table next to you jumps at the sound. You apologize with a bow of your head, hiding your laugh with a hand.

The two of you had stumbled upon this outdoor café quite by accident. It is run by a man and his calico hybrid, you are pretty sure that's how catnip tea made it to the menu. Now the two of you come every Sunday, taking your drinks to a nearby park for a leisurely walk. It is still nippy, winter is clinging to everything for as long as it can, but the two of you are eager for spring and often pretend it's already here.

This whole area is really cute. There are lots of trees, even before you make it to the park. A little bookstore is situated next to the café and next to the bookstore is a small music store. Before your drinks, sometimes Yoongi goes in and plays the piano and pours over any new merchandise. They recognize you two by name now.

Your ears flicker, tuning in and out of other people's conversations as you wait for Yoongi. One conversation makes you sit up straight in your chair.

"You stupid mutt! I told you to change the display, why didn't you? So fucking useless!"

"I'm so sorry, I'll do it right now," This voice is low and much harder to hear. The sound of skin hitting skin is like a shot to your gut and you jump to your feet. The humans around you sit undisturbed, unable to hear what you just had.

You look over to the café. Inside you can see the cat hybrid, ears pinned back. She hands your drinks to Yoongi and catches you staring, a sad look on her face, as if to say that she has heard it many times before and has no choice but to accept it. Her eyes flick to the bookstore then back to you, before composing herself and thanking Yoongi for coming.

"I don't even know why I fucking keep you anymore! Think of all the money I could save if I threw you out on your ass."

Yoongi walking towards you feels like slow motion. The thought of ignoring the abuse you are overhearing makes you feel physically ill.

"Y/N are you ok?" He sets your drinks on the table and cups your cheeks. As if you are resurfacing out of water, you feel yourself shoved back into this moment with a jolt.

"We need to help him!" You urge, grabbing his hand and tugging him to the bookstore. He makes you wait while he gathers your drinks and you mewl impatiently.

The inside of the bookstore is darker than the bright outside and you both stop blinking, waiting for your eyes to adjust. A middle aged man is slowly lowering his hand, his face morphing from a snarl to a fake smile for his new customers. The dog hybrid next to him has his ears pinned back to his head and tail between his legs. His head is bowed, but his red cheek is still clearly visible. You feel Yoongi stiffen beside you.

"Welcome, sir, please come in!" His fake smile slides from Yoongi to you and threatens to twist into a sneer as he watches your tail twitch anxiously. Yoongi puts your drink in one hand and takes your other one in his, squeezing it slightly in silent acknowledgement. He nods to the owner and pulls you along a row of books, pretending to browse.

You can't help shooting glances towards the hybrid as Yoongi pulls a book off the shelf and puts it back. He can probably feel the stare, because he glances up. The sadness in his eyes makes you mewl softly. Yoongi follows your gaze and so does the bookstore owner. The latter sucks at his teeth as he continues to stack books, shooting glares at the demure hybrid working on the front display.