Chapter 117

When the kids fell asleep, Isa handed me a glass of wine as we sit by the counter. "It's hard, isn't it?" She spoke.
I nodded. "It sure is hard. After all, hiding a child is never the same as hiding some love letters," I replied. "Damn, meeting him out of the blue is fucking nerve-racking."
"I feel you, girl! It's a hassle! Para kang nagtatago ng kabit sa asawa mo. (It feels like you're hiding a mistress from your husband.)" She said then chuckled.
"Isa," I cried. "I don't really know what to do anymore!"
Instead of consoling me, she hit me on the back of my head which made me pout.
"Don't cry on me, girl. I can't console you. I am not into dramas and operas," She rolled her eyes.
"Such a mean girl."
"Come on, girl. Nothing's going to happen if you'll just cry all night and rant about how things have turned out. After all, these are the consequences of your choices. Pinili mo 'yan, panindigan mo. (You chose this, stand for it.)"
"You're pretty blunt."
"I am, sis. That's why I'm your friend, Miss Nice Girl. Oops, should I call you Mrs?"
"Shut it, Isa. Anyway, I'll just give my old man a call, as well as my brother, of course. I'm going tell them where I settled."
She gave me thumbs up and a big smile. "Nice decision, girl. You should do it often."
I raised my middle finger and then walked toward the balcony. I shivered when the cold wind embraced me and played with my hair. Though, It is kind of annoying especially since my hair's chopped already.
I stared at my phone's screen for over a minute before I had the courage to call dad's number. I kept on biting my nails as I listen to the ringing sound, not so long after dialing dad's number, he answered.
[Good day, who's this?]
I bit my bottom lip and said, "Dad? It's me, Assia."
The other line went silent which made me feel nervous. Seconds later, I heard some noise. I think he's loading a gun or maybe not.
"It's really me, dad. Come on, say something. I have something important to tell you," I said in a bored tone even if my heart won't stop beating.
[I'm tracking you right now,] He said.
I laughed at his silly response. "You don't have to, dad. We're in Hong Kong at the moment. We'll be right back in the Philippines tomorrow morning so... yeah," I sighed. "I'll send you the address."
[We?] He asked in confusion.
"Well, yeah," I mumbled. "I have a daughter." I casually said.
I heard something fell so I called him several times.
[You should know who're you calling, young lady. I can get you killed simply for pretending to be my daughter.] He said in a dangerous voice.
Oh, God! I never knew this could be this hassle. I should have just flown back to Canada and brought KC with me.
"Dad, I am really Assia! Assia Emeraude Vista! Your fucking daughter who lived with the fucking, asshole, son of a bitch Anton! Formerly known as Athijha Esmeray Alonso! Gosh! Can't you recognize my voice? It's just been almost three years and you have already forgotten the sound of your daughter's voice? Go get Kuya River, he'll tell you it's me," I blurted out because of frustration. I was panting when I realized that I kinda raised my voice.
[Assia,] He mumbled. [Assia! It's really you! I just raised my guard a little because tons of bitches have been calling us, telling me or your brother that you are them. So, are coming back?]
"Dad, last minute ago, you were threatening me. Argh! Anyway, that's not the reason why I called you. I said that I have a daughter a while ago, right? It's true, dad."
[You've adopted a kid? It's okay. Did it help you cope?]
"Do not call my daughter 'it', dad. She's not a thing," I groaned. "Her name is KC she's my biological daughter."
[Assia Emeraude! Are you married?!] He roared.
I pulled my phone away from my air as my father kept on mumbling words that I can't understand.
He's just too surprised, isn't he?
[Assia, you better start telling me it's a joke or I'll definitely fly to Hong Kong at this hour!]
"I wish I could say that but, I am not joking, dad. KC was once part of me. I'll explain everything tomorrow, I promise. But tonight, you calm yourself first. You're not getting younger, dad. We don't want you ending up at the hospital again, do we?"
[Okay then, expect me at your place tomorrow. You better not be joking.]
"Okay, dad. I'm dropping the call. I have to give Kuya River a call."
"You better do."
I dropped the call.
I placed my palm against my chest. I could feel my heartbeat calming down.
I looked behind me as I feel an eye digging a hole on my back. I placed my palm against my forehead when I saw Isa staring at me like hungry hyena. Though, I am pretty sure she just want some information.
I mouthed, "Later," before dialing Kuya River's number.
I turned my back then hugged myself as the evening breeze started to make me feel a little cold.
[What's up, little sis? I see you've already told our old man about my little niece. How about him? Does he already know?]
I raised my eyebrow as I feel something that doesn't sit right.
"Kuya River, did you pull some strings again?" I asked in a low tone.
I confirmed my theory when he laughed awkwardly and then fell into silence.
"You sold me out?!" I screamed. "Is that the reason why he appeared out of nowhere and decided to invest, River? You told him about my whereabouts?!"
He was trying his best to calm me down, diverting the topic to a stupid series, to books, games, works, and even diverting the topic to Andra looking for me which is way impossible because Andra couldn't possibly remember me.
"Stop it! You're not helping, River! I feel even more nervous now! You didn't tell Exiquel about KC, didn't you?" I said as I squint my eyes into thin air.
[Nope, I didn't. The revelations won't be nerve-wracking anymore if I told him,] He said after clicking his tongue. He then laughed as if it is the funiest thing ever.
I cursed him. "I hate how obsessed you are with fucking dramas, Kuya," I hissed.
He let out a burst of an annoying laughter. [And I kinda like how dramatic your life is, little sis.]
I cursed for five minutes straight, until my mind successfully process his wickedness.
[Speaking of KC, how is my niece? Does she look like me? Or does she reminds you of your Ex-husband?] He said, emphasizing the word 'Ex'.
I let out a proud smile. "Sorry not sorry but your dearest niece looks exactly like me when I was a kid. Hmp! She took after me after all."
He let out a disappointed sigh which offended me a little.
I look cute when I was a kid!
[Now I wonder if her life would be as dramatic as yours. It's already dramatic though,] He cackled.
"Shut up! I hope you won't find her anytime soon."
[I found her, little sis. And don't be upset, it was your choice.]
I sighed and chose to give up on our little argument. I'll never beat him when it comes into this kinds of things. Isa and him are so similar that I sometimes wonder if they're siblings or not.
"Anyway, you're going with dad tomorrow, right? Can you do me a favor as compensation for what you've done?"
[Sure thing, little sis. What is it?]
"You know Quel's perfume, right? Can you go buy one? And use it when you meet my daughter. I kinda used your name." I said, not in a nice way though. More like, a command.
[Tsk. You should really not lie to your daughter, you know?]
"I'm just... scared, Kuya," I mumbled.
[So? You're not the only one who's scared. And you can't be scared forever. You have a child, Assia. You being scared won't do anything good for her.]
"We were fine. Just us two. We already chose to live in peace."
[You decided on that matter by yourself, Assia. Have you asked KC if she's fine living without her father? you've been selfish for more than three years already, Assia. Maybe it's time to consider what your daughter feels like as well as the thoughts running inside her head.]
"Stop being blunt," I pleaded.
[Gotta hang up, little sis. Gotta go on date. Love 'ya. Mwah!]
He already dropped the call before I could even say anything. Sometimes, I wish to kill that brother of mine. He gives good advice though.