Chapter 51

Well, I'm kinda planning to call a friend to let out the negative feelings and energy I've got from the party earlier.
I called him then head out to the veranda while waiting for him to answer my call. Joy filled my system when he answered it.
[Good thing I am not home yet. I've got a feeling that you'll call.] He chuckled which made me giggle too.
"What? Are you a psychic now? I never thought that you are one though. You look like a yokai more," I laughed when he snorted.
I heard him sighed and a faint sound from the background, a sign that he moved.
[This is the first time you've called me and it feels like something that has made a deep cut in you has been bothering you. Your aura since earlier was a gloomy, clumsy girl. Wanna talk about it?]
I went in silence after he said that. Sometimes, I really find him creepy because it feels like he knows everything.
[You went home early. Why? I knew it wasn't about the crowd so don't even try to give me that reason because I won't buy it, understand?]
I chuckled then stared at the sky filled with jewels. The sky filled with glittering pieces of celestial bodies. The stary sky which gives me the vibe to let out what I have been leashing for so long.
[What? Are you just going to laugh at everything I say? Because if that's the case, I'll just drop this call, clumsy girl. You are just making me feel like a fucking clown because of what you are doing.]
I laughed again, not minding his rants. I heard his scowl from the other line.
"River," I called.
[What now?]
"Do you mind picking me up here? I just want to go somewhere. And I decided to tag you along," I uttered in a normal voice with a hint of cheerfulness.
[You just want me to be your personal driver. And who the hell are you to decide if I want to tag along, huh?] He arrogantly responded which is so usual of him.
"Why? Don't you want to tag along?"
[No.] He said right after I asked that I can almost hear him rolling his eyes. Then I heard a soft sound. [Anyway, I have been standing in front of your house since you called and I'm kinda freezing here.]
My eyes widened then looked down on the road. He is really there, leaning on his car while he's holding his phone near his ear.
I waved at him. He waved his phone then seconds after that, I heard my phone beeping which indicates that he already dropped the call.
I locked the door of the veranda and grabbed my favorite hoodie before heading out of the house. I slid my phone inside my pocket then ran to him.
"You've been standing there since you called me and you didn't even bother to look down? Unbelievable," He said while clapping his hands.
"Come on, Riv. Don't talk to me like that. I feel like you are my father," I replied then flipped my hair.
"Father?! Me? Your father? What the hell?" His reaction was cute which made me chuckle. But then, his goofy face turned into his usual jerky expression. "But, on the second thought, I can be your daddy," He wiggled his eyebrows. "Sugar daddy."
I looked at him with a disgusted expression and it was my turn to laugh at my reaction. "What the hell, River? Stop that. I'm starting to picture you-"
"What? Naked? I never thought that you are this wild, clumsy girl," He teased, the reason why I punched his shoulder.
"Yah! I was about to say that I was picturing you as someone who is as pervert as my classmates when I was in high school!"
He roared in laughter. "I was just kidding, clumsy girl," He fixed his posture then smiled. "I was acting like a father to you, clumsy girl. I was trying to act like a big brother, you remind me of my little sister Emerald," He gave me a pat on the head.
"You must have loved your sister so much, huh? I'm jealous, I wish I also have a big brother," I pouted.
"Silly," He flicked my forehead which made me his at him. "Anyway, I thought you wanted to go somewhere?" He uttered then opened the door for me. "Hop on, clumsy girl."
I smiled at tiptoed to mess his hair. "Thank you, River."
"Sure," He replied.
"Were you really standing there for quite long?" I asked out of curiosity.
"Yeah, but I've been there since you left the party. I followed you. You really looked like a zombie so I was scared to let you go home alone. I thought you might consider committing suicide," He shrugged his shoulders.
My mouth formed in a big O upon hearing that from him. "How the hell did you come up with that kind of idea?"
"I don't know, you seemed off and you kinda looked drunk even if you didn't drink a bit. So I thought it might be psychological," He sighed then turned right. "Where do you want to go?"
"Uhm," I hesitated to answer. "There is no exact place I want to go," I smiled shyly. "I don't have something in mind. Do you mind driving continuously?"
"I knew you'd say that," He replied. He was expecting that, huh? "I was right when I thought that you're just going to make me your driver tonight. Are you going to pay for my gas?"
I nodded eagerly. "Sure thing! I'll pay. You don't have to worry about it. I have brought my wallets and some of my cards because I knew you'd say that," I said in a kind voice.
"I was just kidding. And what do you mean that you knew I'd say that?" His voice was kind of confused as amused at the same time, his eyebrows are also furrowed then gave me a quick glance.
I slowly leaned on the backrest. "That you'll make me pay for your gas?" I replied, unsure of my response so it was followed by a small laugh.
He roared into laughter. "Damn, you are funny, clumsy girl. I was just kidding, I'd never do that. You don't have to pay. I actually did this voluntarily, I was going to ask you out for a snack, you just asked me first," He chuckled.
"Oh, thank you, I guess," I whispered.
A serene silence enveloped us for quite a long while. I was just watching everything we pass by especially the traffic lights which look like fire when it is red, the sun when it is orange, and it feels like I am staring at my very own eyes whenever I stare at the color green.
"Athijha, I know that you have a problem. You don't have to hide it. You may think that people around you doesn't notice it, or maybe they do not but I do notice. I am your friend, you can talk to me about it if you are comfortable," I glanced at him but immediately averted it the moment our emerald eyes met.
I bit my bottom lip. "It hurts," I don't know why I said that. It just came out naturally, without a bit of hesitation. It was like I am speaking to someone I have known since my past life. "It really hurts. It hurts a lot. It feels like it's slowly killing me on the inside. It's so hard to pretend that you're fine when it is the exact opposite of what you really feel. It is painful and it is tiring."
He parked his car. "Is this about Exiquel? Are you hurting because of him?" His voice was quite low and I can feel pity from his tone.
I slowly nodded. "Yes, I am hurting because of him. Because I love him," I mumbled while suppressing my tears.
I saw him nodded from my peripheral vision. "Your husband is an asshole, huh?" Sarcasm flooded in his voice but what he just said made my mouth gape open.
"You... you knew that I am married to him?" I gasped loudly when he nodded. "How? How did you know about it?"
He looked at my hands then pointed at the ring I am wearing. "I noticed how identical that ring was to the one he was wearing. And your confession before just proved my theory right," He answered.
His response made me even more confused though. More questions are running in my head.
"What confession? And when did I confessed about that?"
"You didn't told me about that directly. You may not be aware about it but it was me who talked to you the night you were wandering in the dark by yourself," He leaned his head on the window then threw his glance on me. "I was the masked man you talked to, clumsy girl. I am Grey."
My mouth parted at the sudden revelation on his side. "What? What were you doing there?"
He flashed a small smile. "I am always there, Athijha. That was the place where I found peace outside that clinics and hospitals," He sighed. "But the question here is, what were you doing there, Athijha. What was the real reason why was your face tainted by dried tears?"
He went close to me and brushed the tear I didn't know streaming down my cheeks.
"I... I just love him so much that I allowed him to do that but it hurts," I chuckled upon realizing how stupid I am whenever he is involved. "But did you know what, I am happy. After all the pain I allowed to be inflicted on me, he maid me the happiest woman in the world."
"Then why are you crying again? Why are you hurting again?"
"Because even if I have known that it was just temporary, I still hoped that it would last for years, for lifetimes just like what he promised," I raised my hand. "Oh, it's not a promise at all because it was a lie. He lied to me and he lied ti himself. He have always loved ny sister regardless of how many times she rejected him."