Chapter 80

"At first I thought you really did, but I guess it was just your facade that has changed."
"What is that supposed to mean, Exiquel?"
"What I am saying is, no matter how you try to cover it... or use anything as your defense mechanism... your true self is always leaking," He tilted his head then smiled. "You do not want to lose yourself. The real you... the old part of you... the you that is covered... the current you."
I shut my mouth. I was unable to say anything. He's right. He's so fucking right that I want to yell at him so bad. I really hate how he knows me so well. I hate how he always figures out what is running in my mind.
I hate it!
I hate him!
I stared at his eyes then pulled myself together. I looked at him with courage and fierceness. Trying to be so mighty, not wanting to crumble in front of him because of the fact that he just spitted like it is the most obvious thing in the world.
"What kind of tragedy?" That is what I want to know. "It looks like it was scrapped. There's a scar that came from a bullet. Series of scars coming from a whip. I can tell, Exiquel. So just go on and tell me what I want to know. You know what I want to know, don't you? Then start talking."
"Yeah," He said. "It was scrapped with a rusty knife then hit by a whip for a couple of times while bleeding. They still aid it of course. A day after, I was shot in the back. The bullet penetrating my flesh felt hot as hell."
He chuckled while I was trying to digest everything that came out of his mouth.
"It doesn't matter, though. It's all in the past now," He added.
I balled my fist to suppress the emotions that is building inside me.
I hope I can say the same.
"How," I murmured. "How can you say it doesn't matter? How can you say that! How did that happen?"
"It's a long story, Athijha. Why don't we talk about what really matt-"
"All things matter! So please, tell me all about it. Start from the start."
He nodded. "As you wish."
***
ASHTON EXIQUEL SAAVEDRA
~Point of View~
It was sunny. The sun feels warm against my skin while I was sitting on a swing, waiting for a friend who asked for my help.
I closed my eyes and leaned my temple on the rope.
"Quel!" A familiar high-pitched voice reached my ears.
Finally, she's here. I slowly opened my eyes and frowned at her. I was about to say something rude when my eyes landed on the girl in a purple dress behind her.
She has fair skin and long black hair. I wonder who she is.
I returned my gaze to Clea. "What took you so long?" I asked in a casual tone while my arms are crossed under my chest.
Her hands are on her knees while panting. Seems like they ran on their way here.
"Wait for a second," She mumbled.
I looked at the girl with her again. She looks younger than we or she might be around nine to ten years old. She lifted her face and that was when her green eyes met mine.
She looks like a doll. She has this small smile on her lips while the gentle wind is making her hair sway.
Clea stood up straight then walked towards the other girl.
"Since you agreed to help me, I brought her here," She beamed. "This is my sister."
The green-eyed girl took a step forward then bowed a little. "I am Athijha Esmeray Alonso. Nice to meet you."
I was astounded when I got to hear her voice. It is gentle and sweet and almost sounded like an angel. If her tone was a bit more cheerful and not too formal, I might have mistaken her as an innocent kid.
Something... something about her tells me that she grew up faster than she's supposed to.
"Quel," Clea called me which made me snap back to reality.
"Oh, right," I muttered under my breath. "Ashton Exiquel Saavedra, you can call me Quel. Nice to meet you."
Clea squealed then wrapped her arm around her sister's shoulder. "You see, Exiquel, my sister here, doesn't have any friend," She said.
Athijha bowed her head a little then averted her gaze. "And this is actually the first time she went out so I need you to help me and be her first friend."
My lips parted open while staring at Athijha. I can't see her eyes clearly since her bangs are getting in the way and she's looking down.
She was biting her lips like she's not as comfortable as she's supposed to. I noticed how her grip on the strap of her sling bag tightened.
She looked so gloomy unlike how Clea sparkles.
I unconsciously nodded. "Sure," I said.
It was too late for me to realize what I just said. But I didn't regret it.
She lifted her head and looked at me with her intense green eyes. It looks so alive that it seems like the green leaves and glasses at the park looked colorless.
In just a second, the aura around her seemed to change. From dark, it turned into a bright silver mood.
For the second time of the day, I was astounded because of a person's smile. Athijha's smile.
"Really?" She asked in a cheerful tone. "I'm so happy! Clea, did you hear that?"
I stared at her while she's smiling and hugging Clea. She looks too composed even if she's laughing.
Even if she said that I could feel sadness around and I guess, she was the one who's emitting that.
At that moment, I wanted to ask what is wrong. But I did not want to intervene. Clea's expression while looking at her little sister was something I had never seen.
I wonder if she feels the sadness of her sister.
"Sorry, I have to go. I just escaped to help Athijha breathe some fresh air," Minutes after that, Clea ran off like she was chasing something. "Take good care of my sister!" She yelled while waving her hand.
Athijha was waving back to her even if she's aware that Clea can't possibly see her unless she has some sort of superpowers or if she has an eye on the back of her head.
Athijha faced me then smiled. She walked towards the swing and modestly sat.
"You like my sister, do you not?" She asked out of nowhere.
I frowned then shook his head. "Not even a single bit," I replied.
She tilted her head while looking at me with pure innocence.
"How come you are friends then?" She asked in confusion.
My mouth is agape open. What... what the hell is she saying?
"Huh?"
She placed her pointer finger on her chin. "Well, according to my understanding, you can't possibly get along with people you do not like unless you and my sister are some sort of beings that the scientists failed to examine," She replied.
My jaw dropped upon hearing that. What the actual fuck is she talking about?
It almost seems like she came from another planet!
"No... I mean," I scratched the back of my head. Oh, God! How can I deal with her innocence when I am not used to it? "I do like your sister as a friend. I'm sorry, I have got the wrong idea."
"I'm glad," She murmured then looked up to the sky. "Look at the crescent moon," She said.
I shook my head. "Just stare at it at night, it doesn't look that special at daytime."
Her eyebrows furrowed. "It's special. It is always special. Everything is special no matter where it is located, when and how it happened, or even every story behind it," She grinned. "You are special too."
Somehow, my heart broke upon hearing that from her. From the perspective of a person like me, I envy her for being so innocent but I pity her for not knowing how the world works.
Nothing is special. Everything is the same. The sun rises and it sets, it's always the same every day. You wake up to see the same sky, the same sun, the same flow of time, the same chaotic world.
"Didn't I tell you not to touch my things?" Dad angrily said while pulling me by the arm.
I tried to get away but he just tightened his grip and threw me on the floor.
"Don't you know how much this costs, Exiquel?! This is even more expensive than your goddamn life!" He yelled then slapped me with the watch I accidentally broke.
The familiar taste of blood filled my mouth while I was crying silently, trying my best not to make any sound. It might make my dad even angrier.