Chapter 48 - One Heart to watch over part one

While the rain was still pouring, Knuckles watched over Sonic 'who was unconscious on the couch and covered with a blanket'.

He even looked twice to see if the rain stopped. Sadly no change. Knuckles then looks down at the sleeping hedgehog and sighed. He thought of that day of the whole Friendbot thing.

Where he assumed his bragging on him losing to him on tomato-potamus the video game made him feel bad.

<flashback>

When Knuckles noticed Sonic was gone from Friendbots embrace, one of the Cubots told him, "If your looking for Sonic he left immediately. Though I kinda noticed he was a tiny bit upset." Knuckles asked, "Upset?! About what...?"

He then gasped and muttered, "I must've bragged too much that I made him upset."

With no moment to lose Knuckles immediately ran off after Friendbot broke the hug. It took Knuckles about an hour to find Sonic at the beach.

Although to him it felt like a week. Knuckles immediately noticed Sonic was in tears again.

The blue hedgehog looked down as the moment from Friendbots saving his life reminded him how NIGHTS got struck by lightning and fell into a deep sleep.

He asked himself as tears fell on the soft sand, "Why? Friendbot woke up. But she didn't. If what he said is true then we haft to wait until she wakes up. Who knows how long it will take."

Sonic began crying a little. Assuming Knuckles thought it was his own fault. He walked to him and said, "Hey Sonic? L-look I wanna apologize for bragging about being the champion. Don't get all down you did your best."

Sonic immediately sees him before wiping his tears and said as he stood up, "No. no I'm fine. Really I..."

Sonic began to feel his head and groan in pain. Knuckles took him in his arms and said, "I think someone is not feeling well again. Have you been getting any sleep?"

Sonic nodded but felt his head. Assuming Sonic had a headache, Knuckles took him to his shack.

<flashback ends>

Tails walked to Knuckles and said, "I just spoke with Manic. He's one his way. He said he couldn't wait until the storm settles. I better get to the kitchen and make something warm to drink."

Tails walked off and muttered, "Sometimes I wonder if we have been actual good friends to Sonic."

A second later Sonic started screaming in his sleep. Knuckles shouted as he shook his shoulder, "Sonic. Your having a nightmare. Wake up."

Knuckles shook him once or twice before Sonic sat up, heavily breathing and sweating. He then turned to Knuckles who was really concerned.

That's when Sonic broke down into tears as Knuckles hugged him for comfort and said in a comforting tone, "There there. It was only a nightmare. It's okay."