Prologue - Hidden Despair

It was Knuckles idea to celebrate their successful battle against Eggman again by throwing a party at Tails workshop at night. Though it started during night time. Everyone but Eggman was invited to it.

Although it went wild but nobody not even Tails cared. The girls danced wildly while some of the guys enjoyed and having a good time.

Knuckles chuckled and said, "Man I knew this party was a great Idea. Don't you think Tails?" Tails replied, "Yeah but who's going to clean up my workshop after this?!"

The music was too loud for Knuckles to hear but he didn't care cause he was too busy having fun with their party.

Though Knuckles noticed something or other someone was missing.

He looked and asked loudly, "Hey Tails where did Sonic go?" Tails replied, "He left early for some reason I dunno why."

Knuckles raised a brow before looked to see Sonic outside.

Without a moment to spare he ran out and was able to catch Sonic and said, "Hey Sonic. Why are you leaving early? You barely had any fun. I haven't got a chance to ask you to da~"

he trailed off as he caught a glimpse at Sonics tear encrusted eyes.

Knuckles let's out a light gasped as Sonic said, "Look uhhh...I-I love to have fun but I-I gotta go besides I rather be alone at the moment."

Knuckles said whining like a little kid, "But Sonic you said that the last time after the whole Dude-i-tude road trip just after it rained again when we took time to waiting for a month for our concert. In fact ya haven't talk to any of us after we found out our concert was a month away. Look can't you please stay? I haven't gotta chance to dance with you."

Sonic was confused on him wanting to dance with him but he said, "Look maybe some other time okay? Just not now. I'm not in the mood to hang out or anything. I'm sorry."

Sonic sped off before Knuckles gotta chance to reason with him a little more.

Knuckles said to himself as he looked at the stars shined in the night and the party continued inside Tails workshop, "What has gotten into Sonic? He's been sad lately. Strangely I'm the only one who notices Sonic crying. He's also very tired than usual. I wonder what's going on. He's been acting like that since after the dreamCaster incident. Hmm. Has Sonic been working himself too hard lately? How come I'm noticing Sonic being this sad? He possibly must be hiding it. But I'm noticing it. I wonder if Sonics okay."

He looked at the sky a little longer, wondering if his friends okay.

Though Knuckles thinks Sonic is more than a best friend to him. He started falling for Sonic since after the whole first Charlie (When Knuckles got Charlie fired from the market) incident.

After realizing the truce was false Sonic stood up for Knuckles and in that moment Knuckles fell in love with Sonic. Though knowing Sonic very well. Knuckles knew if he asked is Sonic was okay he'll say 'I'm fine.' Which Knuckles doesn't believe it.

<meanwhile>

Sonic stood at a small clear pond as tears stream down his face and landed on the pond. He thought of a certain old friend of his long ago and it made him feel bad.

Sonic muttered, "If only I reached to her in time. She wouldn't have gotten hurt or into this deep sleep. It's so painful to know her burden. But I understood how she feels. I felt worthless myself. We both carried out battles that felt like it was too much."

Sonic fell on his knees and said as he cried, "...NIGHTS? I'm so sorry. I failed you but I can't give up fighting Wizeman for you. I haft to do this for you. It's so much to bare the shame and this despair I have now. I promise you NIGHTS I'll keep battling your battle. Even if it means becoming a nightmaren."

Then with onto deep breath Sonic fell into the pond. A splash was heard just after Sonic fell in. Little did everyone know Sonic is defending the world of dreams for his friend NIGHTS. Though Sonic was too busy to. Know Knuckles was onto him about his despair.