Chapter 28 - Dreaming of Dancing with my love

Knuckles was at the workshop once again on the floor, with the lamp he won, a pillow, and a blanket.

He thought to himself, "I wonder why Sonic is so sad. It must be more than just doing something for a friend. I understand Sonic helps others but he doesn't get depressed about it. I can never forget that wonderful dream I had. I wanted to ask Sonic to dance with me so bad. But he always say 'some other time' or when that girl stole him away on that engagement party. That and I've been too shy to ask him. *sighs lovingly* Man I remember when we got back to Tails place after we found out the nesting ritual will be finished for a week. It gave an excuse and an opportunity to be close to Sonic. It was also the day I almost confessed to him. That night I dreamed of dancing with him."

<flashback>

Just after Sonic and Knuckles arrived at Tails place it became awkward for Knuckles.

Although Tails was left behind due to the fact that he didn't want anymore chaos in his house.

It was bad enough for him to live with Sonic but it gets more bad with Knuckles. It was about 5 minutes after Sonic and Knuckles entered Tails house.

Although Sonics expression turned into a sad one as he thought no one was looking. He couldn't be more wrong.

That's when Knuckles asked, "Sonic? What's the matter?" Sonic immediately changed his expression and said, "What? Oh I'm fine Knux I..I.."

Knuckles didn't buy it one bit as he said, "Sonic I know a person when they are fine but you are not fine at all. Tell me what's wrong."

Sonic just frowned and said, "I...just have a lot on my mind is all."

Knuckles halfway bought it but still wasn't convinced that was the case.

That's when Sonic asked Knuckles something he didn't expect to happen, "Knux? There's something I wanted to ask you for a while now. Why have you been nice to me lately? Look I'm sort of appreciate you checking on me even though I am fine but I'm curious and you been paying attention to me when Amy wasn't. Why have you been doing that lately?"

Knuckles heart pounded as he blushed. The red echidna looked both ways before he gazed into the cobalt hedgehogs emerald green eyes and said, "Well? Umm... It's sort of something I've been feeling since I helped you get to the clinic when you had those scratch marks. I mean... I have had this feeling for a while and I..."

He trailed off with a blush as he looked onto the ground. Sonic then said as he walked close to him, "Just tell me Knuckles. You know you can trust me. Can you?"

Knuckles looked at him with a smile. That's when he took Sonics hand before Knuckles took a deep breath and said shyly, "Sonic The Hedgehog... I wanted to tell you that I..."

Before he can finish his confession, Tails shouted as he open the door, "I'm here."

To the young fox's surprise the place wasn't trashed. Tails looked at them and said, "Okay I'm glad the place wasn't trashed yet. But I have a question. Am I interrupting anything?"

Both Sonic and Knuckles looked at each other before they looked at Tails and said, "Oh no. It was nothing."

Tails in confusion said, "Uhhh... okay?" He then went to the fridge and muttered, "I coulda sworn they were talking.

Maybe I'm hearing things." 3 minutes later it was a bit of a struggle for Knuckles. He tried all week to get close to Sonic but every time he attempted to make his move on Sonic, Tails always peeks out and it also makes Tails curious at what Knuckles is doing with Sonic, or when they sit close together on the couch, Tails would always sit between them.

It was really irritating for Knuckles. On a Wednesday night. The three were asleep and Knuckles was having a really good dream that he didn't think he would ever have.

<Knuckles dream>

Knuckles was in his fantasy where he is a captain, like he was telling the story of how Tails workshop caught on fire.

The red echidna spotted the blue hedgehog near the beach looking down while his blue fur was shining under the sun.

Knuckles smiled before he stopped beside the blue hedgehog and asked, "Why so sad blue Angel?"

Sonic looked at him before he asked, "Y-you're not mad at me for being weak?"

Knuckles chuckled before he said as he took Sonics hand, "Oh Sonic. Out of all the beautiful creatures I have seen. You're more beautiful than any girl would be."

That made Sonic blushed as he said, "Thank you so much."

Knuckles then held out his hand and asked, "May I have this dance?"

Sonic blushed and said as he took his hand, "Yes you may."

Just after the answer, both Sonic and Knuckles slowly danced through the beach.

It was a moment Knuckles wanted to do to make his dream come true.

Sonic whispered to him while they were still dancing with each other, "Knuckles...I.." Knuckles replied, "I know what you will say Sonic..." He leaned over to the blue hedgehogs lips before waking up.

<Woke up>

Knuckles opened his eyes and looked around. He thought about that dream he had.

He thought to himself, "Wow. That is one heck of a dream."

Before he could think further, he hears Sonic screaming. He turned around and sees Sonic in tears while talking and screaming in his sleep.

He was begging as if someone was in danger. Sonic squirming and shouting and screaming as he kept crying.

With no time to loose Knuckles shouted as he shook Sonic awake, "Sonic! Wake up your asleep!"

Sonic jilted awake as he opened his tear filled eyes. He looked to see Knuckles 'who was really worried about the blue hedgehog.'

Knuckles thought with a worried expression, "This is beginning to get worrisome."

Without even thinking, Sonic cried so loud as his face landed on Knuckles strong and soft chest. Knuckles wrapped his arms around him and said, "It's okay Sonic. It was just a just a scary nightmare. Don't worry. It's okay."

Sonic cried himself to sleep as Knuckles held hun real close. that's when Knuckles pulled the covers on both Sonic and him.

He was driven to sleep with a slumbering Sonic is his arms but he didn't let go of him all night.

<now>

Knuckles asked himself as he looked down to the ground and turned on the lamp next to him, "What was Sonics nightmare that day? I highly doubt it's water but what scared him?"

He looked up into the sky and asked himself, "Please tell me what's happening Sonic will you?"