Chapter 36 - a little laugh

After getting back to the inn to dry up,

Sonic just stretched and got out as he yelled, "I gotta check where the Nightmarens are coming from. I'll be back shortly."

Sonia's voice shouted back, "Alright brother. Be careful." It was only about 10 minutes of searching the woods for an entrance in nightmare although it wasn't long before he saw J.J. 'Who was looking for him.'

Thats when J.J. saw him and said, "Oh there you are your highness." J.J. ran to him as Sonic asked, "J.J? What are you doing here?"

J.J. Replied as he stopped in front of Sonic, "My apologize for disturbing your usual run routine your highness. But Knuckles wants to talk to you. 'Something important' he says."

Sonic raised a brow and said, "Something important huh? Well whatever it is. I gotta know. Can you tell me where Knuckles is J.J?"

Thats when J.J. replied, "Well I saw him with Dad last. I would suggest you go to him your highness."

Sonic said, "Okay no problem. Thanks for telling me."

J.J. replied, "Anytime your highness." With that said Sonic sped off. When he arrived at Mikes house. Mike himself said that Knuckles left to go to the town square.

Just after he heard that, he thanked Mike and sped off. When he arrived at town square, he sees Knuckles sitting down under a tree.

That's when he walked to Knuckles and said, "Hey Knux. Whatcha want??" Knuckles looked to see Sonic and said, "Huh? Oh. Uhh... Hey Sonic. Whatcha need?"

Sonic replied as he sat down, "J.J. said ya needed to tell me something important." Knuckles jumped a little before he said shyly, "Y-Yeah. I-I coulda told you m-myself but I was really nervous recently. S-so anyway...I-I was wondering i-if you umm..."

Sonic raised a brow before Knuckles stutter while looking at the blue hedgehog. But that's when Knuckles tripped and fell on his back in a clumsy way.

Sonic couldn't help giggle at that moment like he did the last time. Though that wasn't the first time Knuckles made him laugh.

Knuckles looked at him as Sonic said, "I-I'm sorry it's just... Your sudden clumsyness has been making me laugh recently."

He just laughed happily and cutely as Knuckles smiled a little but then frowned as he said, "Well I'm actually glad. You've been sad lately. It's always been warming my heart to see you actually smile once in a while."

Sonic blushed a little red, just after Knuckles said that. Sonic sighed and said, "Thats... actually a nice thing to say."

Thats when Sonic said as he frowned, "Listen. I know I haven't been hanging out with you, Tails, and the girls lately but... My friend Alya. Rika told me she doesn't remember anything from her past and she hasn't remembered anything other than waking up and being Rika's roommate months ago. So I'm doing what I can to help her."

Knuckles didn't actually think that way before he thought, "So that's why he's been hanging out with her. Guess I got jealous of her stealing him away from me over nothing."

Knuckles than stand up and said, "Ya know. Your really kind hearted Sonic. Even at times you didn't show it. At least not in public."

Sonics heart skipped a beat as he said that. Before he could reply he heard Alya screaming.

That indicated Sonic she was in trouble. Sonic said in an alarmed tone, "Alya!!" Sonic then sped off as Knuckles said, "I better get the gang and help him out. Even if his childhood friends and siblings are helping him."

With that said Knuckles ran off to get the others.