Lights out

You were sat in the chair next to him, your wooden toy car in your hand, and a nervous look on your face. You looked to the man next to you, his eyes staring right back at you. His long brown hair hung loose infront of his face, his blue eyes looking over your small body, and his face showing no emotion. He was sweating while seated in a chair, your guess was he was doing something like working out. But boy, were you wrong.

It was only a few days ago when you were found by H.Y.D.R.A. You lost your parents in the woods a couple miles back, and have been on your own ever since. An agent took you in and straight to his boss, that later on, you learned the name Alexander Peirce. He gave you a home, took you in as his own, and made you comfortable. All you knew was this single base, how he gave you this home that you got to call your own. A few years later, and you're a 7 year old. Slowly learning that this place wasn't meant for you, but, in this age your a little too oblivious to know. You ended up wondering the halls and into a room you had no business being in. You weren't told no to anything, since Peirce called you his own, you had no restrictions. You just learned the consequences and the memory that carves into your brain. That's how you eneded up here. Sitting next to the man they call the Winter Soldier, infront of your dad, with a toy car in your hand.

Peirce gave you a small smile before taking your hand and leading you to the man. The Soldier's face was firm, his body stiffened up and he looked between you and your father. You gathered up your courage and held up your toy to his chest, as far as you could reach, he furrowed his eyebrows looking at the car.

"Here." You spoke, your voice soft and innocent, "Play."

"Now Y/n-" Peirce started, but you cut him off.

"Please? It'll only be for a little." You pleaded, turning twords him then back at the Soldier.

He sighed, "I guess it's fine. 5 minutes."

He stood up and left the room, not before snapping to a gaurd and having him watch you two. You placed the wooden car in the Soldier's hand, his body tensing as you took the other one out your pocket.

"Father says 5 minutes, we can play now!" You giggled, you started running around the room making car noises.

The Soldier only looked at his car the entire time, he wasn't sure if he was allowed to even hold the thing. When 5 minutes were up, he didn't even acknowledge Peirce's presence. When Peirce took the car from him, you ran to him and pulled on his pants. He turned his head looking down at you, his lips pursed.

"Let him keep it! Please? I'll even put it in his room!" You whined.

"Why?" He asked, curious as he bent down to your level, "Why do you want him to have it?"

You took a few steps, climbing in the Soldier's chair and standing behind him wrapping your arms around his neck. His body was scary still, a worried expression on his face. You pressed your cheek to his and smiled at your father.

"Because," You started, holding him a little tighter, "He's my friend."

That word. Friend. The back of his head itched, like he knew what that meant. Under your touch, he instantly relaxed. Turning his head slightly, he looked at you. Eyes boring in yours.

"F-friend?" He asked, lowly. Like if you weren't near him, no one would've heard.

You nodded, "Yes."

                            * * * * * *
Time went on and you and the Soldier became somewhat close. Even if he'd get wiped, he'd see you with your little car and remember your face. You had this special little place in his heart where no matter how many times they made him forget, you'd have him remember. From that day on, you two played every day. If you didn't get to play with him, you'd cry, and that was usually when he'd be on missions. But, the Soldier never ceased to stop carrying his car around. He'd hide it in one of his pockets on his suit, or place it somewhere in his room that when he'd come back, he'd remember. He didn't talk much, afraid he'd get punished if he did, so he nodded most times. Or he'd watch you if you weren't really paying attention to his answers. Today, was different for you. You turned 20 today, you were tired of being stuck there.