《Samantha》The Guardian's Gift

The Guardian's Gift by shiteutea

Reviewer: samantha-writes

Cover: 3/5
— The man and woman on the cover are cropped well around the clouds in the front. I'm assuming the girl is Jisoo and the guy is Seokjin (if that's how you spell it lol).
— The clouds fit with the descriptions about heaven and the motif (which I'll get into later).
— The border doesn't really fit with the rest of the cover. I think you could go without it or change it, to be honest. The color just doesn't work well, and in fact the design of it isn't all that fitting.
— I like the fonts, though.
— It's just not the most well-made cover I've seen. I'm not sure what it is about it, it could just be better.

Title: 5/5
— The title is very fitting to the story. There is a guardian, that's for sure, and although I'm not sure what her gift is, I bet there will be one introduced later on.
— There are lots of other stories I've seen related to guardian angels, but I've never seen one called "The Guardian's Gift," so it's pretty creative.
— I like the way the title sounds, you know? It's pretty cool lol.

Blurb: 4/5
— The first thing I noticed was that the blurb is really short. Even if the quotes were considered to be a part of the blurb, it would be short. Effective blurbs tend to be 100-200 words long, but somehow even though your is maybe 80 words long, it's still pretty effective. I mean, I definitely want a little more depth to it, but it kinda works.
— Maybe give some more details about how Jisoo wants to protect Seokjin and that it leads to her downfall. (Well, maybe don't directly say that because that gives away a little too much. Something like that, though.) Mention how everything she ever knew about the people she's seen in Seokjin's life changes after her mistakes. I haven't finished chapter 6, but I know that some stuff has changed. You know the story better than me though, so you add what you think is best for readers to know and don't include what you want to be a secret.
— The quotes are pretty iconic, like they're really nice. Except they aren't too related to the main conflict. They definitely have some spice, but I want quotes that show how much everything has changed. Throw in some quotes from when Jisoo is dealing with that shapeshifting demon that looks like Seokjin and how she's denying that it's really him. Use some quotes that will entice readers and reel them in.
— Otherwise, pretty good and I like it. Just add some more and maybe change the quotes, luv.

World: 10/10
— Girl, I—how do you do such a good job with this!? Like, I really felt like I KNEW the heaven Jisoo lived in. You know, apart from her lack of freedom, but you know what I mean. Like, I could probably explain it to you, the literal author, and not miss a detail.
— (That's a little bit of an exaggeration because I got a little confused in the first chapter, but I'll get back to that later.)
— When Jisoo went to Earth, FOR REAL, it felt so realistic how curious she was about everything. How she wanted to see her reflection because she never had before, how she could hardly communicate, how she had to earn money, how excited she was to go shopping, how she got literally attacked by a man in an alley—that one is painfully realistic.

Plot: 14/20
— The exposition is somewhat solid, but you need to introduce the characters and how Jisoo knows them better. I'll talk about that more later. I love how well you describe the world (heaven) in the exposition, though.
— I thought Jisoo travelling to Earth was the main conflict and when the rising action began, but I quickly realized the wasn't the case because it was only going to be for a day and that's not enough to write a story on. When I realized the main conflict is that Jisoo is in a completely upside down sort of scenario (or something like that, I'm in the middle of chapter 6) and is questioning her beliefs, I liked it a lot more.
— However, this main conflict is provided after a very long exposition. I think you should start the story (not counting whatever the first segment is, I guess a prologue or something?) with Jisoo being told that she is going to stay on Earth for a day and have her excited and preparing for the entire chapter or less. In that time, you could introduce Kyungsoo and Seokjin, Jisoo's position as a guardian angel, her life in heaven, her devotion to The Almighty, etc. That way, the exposition would feel so dragged.
— I think the main conflict is really intriguing and gives the plot a lot of potential.