25. Dinner With Family

24/03/21

You and Yoongi are standing in front of your grandparents' front door. You take a deep breath and hit the doorbell.

As you wait, you look over to Yoongi and give a small smile, feeling slightly tense. He gazes back at you and flashes his gummy smile which somehow makes your nervousness somewhat dissipate.

The door opens and it's your...dad?!

You were mentally prepared for Yoongi to meet your grandparents. But, your parents?! You're definitely and unequivocally not ready.

"Dad you're here?! Is mom here, too?!" You question, in shock, not expecting your dad to be answering the front door. It's not that you don't want to see your parents. But, they are definitely going to make a huge deal about the man standing right next to you.

"Yes, your mom and halmeoni were on the phone this morning and your mom offered to help cook. So, she came by earlier. I came here straight after work to hang out with your harabeoji. I've been here for a few minutes," he states, looking at you, then glancing over to your right, where Yoongi is standing.  Your dad flashes a friendly smile and holds out a hand for Yoongi, "Hello! I'm Melina's father, Arnold. And, you are?"

"Hello, sir. I am Yoongi. It's nice to meet you!" Yoongi answers politely in English and takes your dad's hand to give him a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Yoongi! Why don't you both come in!" Your dad steps aside to allow the two of you to walk through the doorway. You motion Yoongi to enter first and you follow behind him. As you enter, you make eye contact with your dad, and he gives you a mischievous smile. He is definitely going to interrogate Yoongi and scare him off, you just know it.

Once you're in, you catch up next to Yoongi and walk him towards the living room, where you spot your brother and Harabeoji.

"Hey, look who's here!" Jake's voice booms out as he jumps off the couch to greet the two of you. He walks up to Yoongi and they say hi to each other while giving each other a handshake and pats on the back. They exchange quick words with each other, basically asking each other how they're doing. It is a pleasant sight seeing the two of them being somewhat chummy with each other. After they greet one another, Jake comes over to you and squeezes you in a tight hug then lets go.

"Hey, knucklehead! It's good you guys were able to make it to dinner," your brother says to you as he ruffles the top of your head.

"Yeah, yeah. I guess I'm glad you're here, too, Jake," you tell him in mock annoyance, following your statement with a giggle. You're always happy to see your little bro.

You remember the unexpected guests and look at Jake questioningly and whisper, "Why didn't you text me about mom and dad being here? I don't feel mentally prepared at all."

"I didn't know they were going to be here and it slipped my mind to text you when I arrived and saw them here," he says as he shrugs, making it seem like it's nothing major.

You see your harabeoji get up from his recliner, so you motion Yoongi to follow you. Once you are both in front of your harabeoji, you introduce the two in Korean.

"Harabeoji, I'd like you to meet Min Yoongi," you look at your harabeoji then to Yoongi, and then you continue, "Yoongi, this is my harabeoji, Nam Woojin."