8. Gloomy to Bright

16/03/21

"What the hell?" You hear Sarah groan in the hallway.

You stop her from going down the stairs. "Sarah, I can handle this. Just go back to bed."

She looks at you worriedly. "Are you sure? Because, I've got your back. And, I don't want you to do anything you'll regret."

You assure her by replying, "I'll be fine. Trust me."

Thanks to your phone's door surveillance app, you knew who's standing outside. As you get to the front door, you take a deep breath before opening it. You wanted to get this over with because you needed more sleep, so you open the door. And, look who it is.

Parker.

"Why are you here in the middle of the night, Parker? And, how did you get here?" You impatiently wait for his answer.

"I asked Trevor to drop me off here." His words are slightly slurred.

You knew he had a few to drink at your parents' house. "Parker! I'm not driving you back to your place. You live a half hour away and it's midnight. I'm exhausted."

He looks at you with those damn puppy dog eyes. "Mel, let me stay here."

Oh, hell no.

"Parker, what are you expecting if you stay here? You're going to at least sleep on the couch." You don't want him to, but he's so relentless in these situations.

He moves towards you. "Your bed is big enough, though."

"Parker, stop." You shake your head and hold out your hand to keep him at bay.

"I miss you," He utters out.

You roll your eyes at that statement. "Parker, no. You lost my trust. Remember what you did? I can't do this right now."

"Fuck, Melina," He says this frustratingly.  Then he takes a deep breath, "I still love you."

Almost two years have passed by since you ended things with him and he's still feeling this way for you.

"Parker." You look at him, pleadingly, "Please. You know I don't feel the same way anymore. And you're drunk."

He waves off what you said like it's nonsense. "Even when I'm sober I still love you."

"Parker, like I keep saying over and over- you've lost my trust. And, we can't go back to how it used to be," you say this as you close your eyes, just wishing you weren't speaking to him about this again.

The two of you have been over this so many times.

You work in an industry where you're surrounded by men. You associate yourself with a lot of male musicians. And, in Parker's mind, you're easy prey. But, back when you were together, you would constantly remind him that you're in a committed relationship with him and that you would never go behind his back. You even told him that if you wanted to be free to see other people, you would choose to be single, but you loved him. Apparently, that wasn't enough to ease his mind.