4. First Backstage Encounter

14/03/21

"How are you guys feeling?! Damnit, as soon as you guys started playing 'Just Like Heaven' and then Davey and Robert* started singing, I teared up!" You recalled your emotional state to the band while they were all cooling off in their designated backstage dressing room after their stellar performance with The Cure.

"There's nothing like playing alongside your idols!" Davey smiles at you while reclining comfortably on a couch.

Kelen, one of your best friends and a band technician for AFI adds, "I remember watching you guys perform a cover of 'Just like Heaven' on MTV years ago! I thought my mind was blown then. But, this performance takes the cake. And, I'm not saying that because I work with you guys." You love when the guys and you gush together about music the way you all usually do. Ah, music, what would you do without it?

Someone starts to knock on the dressing room door that was left slightly ajar. At that moment, you look over to Hunter, who raises his eyebrows, smirks at you and then gets up from the stool he was on. Since he was closest to the door he goes to check who it is and steps out for a moment.

You hear chattering behind the door and you kind of mentally freak out when you hear faint sounds of Korean being spoken. It sounds like some man is speaking in accented English, translating for Hunter. You look around the room and then notice Davey walking up to you. He grabs one of your hands in both of his, signaling you, in a way, to stand up. "Mel, I know you noticed that they had us and The Cure sit a couple rows behind BTS when you came to get us to set up for the performance. We were so close that Hunter was able to weasel his way over at one point, earlier during the program, to speak to their manager. He was able to arrange for the group to come meet us after Hunter told him we wanted to meet them. But we're obviously doing this for you. I think that's them outside."

"What...huh?" You're dumbfounded.

Davey chuckles and, still holding onto your hand, he squeezes it and tries to calm you down with his soothing voice, "Deep breaths, Mel. I don't think they'll bite." He let's go of your hand as he hears footsteps coming through the door.

All of a sudden, you see Hunter re-entering the dressing room. But, he doesn't enter alone. Behind him, is someone who you are aware is the man who always has Bangtan Sonyeondan's back- Manager Sejin. Being a fellow manager, you idolize him just as much as BTS themselves. And, right behind him are seven men who might cause you to pass out at this very moment.

You inhale and exhale and allow yourself to get through this. You also try to look as calm and collected as you possibly can.

Manager Sejin introduces himself and the idol group to everyone who is present in the dressing room, that being the men of AFI, yourself, Kelen, Will (another one of your closest friends and band tech, alongside Kelen), and a couple other staff members working for AFI.

While all of BTS start off by congratulating AFI on a great performance, introducing each other, and taking pictures with the help of a BigHit staff member, you took the time to speak to Sejin. Soon after that, the first member to approach you for a handshake is Jimin. 

Jimin, having heard you introduce yourself as AFI's manager to Sejin, greets you and asks as confirmation, in English, "Hello! You're the manager?" He gently smiles at you as he awaits your answer.

You easily return the smile with one of your own and decide to answer him back in Korean. "Yes, I'm the manager for AFI! My name is Melina. It is a pleasure to meet you!"