Chapter 7 The Talk

Where do I start? In the beginning, if you can said, Mariah 

Tessa told her about her not-so-good upbringing. Her mother was on drugs and her dad wasn't a very nice drunk. She wanted to get her sister out of there too. But she'd not heard from her in a while. And she didn't want to go back to find out what had happened. So she came to GC hoping to earn more money. But when she arrived she didn't have enough money for a down payment on a room. So she slept in her car and washed in the garage restroom.

Mariah was horrified! Why didn't you tell me? Because I was ashamed for one and I was afraid of what you might think of me. She smirked.

When I first meet you I had this weird pull towards you, she looked down at her hand holding Mariah's. Me too! Tessa looked up. Really?  Yeah! I don't know what it is? But I came here tonight not to just hear you sing, but to apologize in person for following you. I had no right to do that. Why did you?

Honestly? I didn't want the evening to end. So I followed you because I was going to knock on your door, and hoped you were going to invite me in. Mariah smiled. Wow well, it must have been a real letdown when you saw where I ended up?

Not at all! I wanted to get out of the cab and invite you back to the ranch. Really? Yes! But I didn't know how you would react, and I didn't want to scare you off. And by the way, you reacted this morning, I would have been right.

I'm sorry I left Mariah. I didn't know what to say to you. I just know how to run, it's easier for me. Well, do you want to run now? No! Tessa smiled. Great! Can we start again? OK! I need to get my fee from Abby and then we can leave.

Right! Mariah said Then let me drive us somewhere so we can talk freely. Is that ok? That would be great.

While she was gone Mariah decided to get on her phone and call Nick. She knew that he and his mum had some low-income condos. Maybe just maybe.

She had a huge smile on her face when Tessa returned to Abby's office.  Why are you smiling like that? Asked Tessa. Well, I may have found you somewhere to live. "What"? Mariah, what have you been up to while I've been gone?

I phoned a friend who has some low-income condos and I was hoping he had one empty. Miraculously he does.  The building has major building work s going on. So as long as you can put up with the noise and dust it's yours. Can you put up with that?

With the broadest smile, Tessa thought about it for a millisecond and said Yes. Mariah said great. Grabbed Tessa's hand and said let's go.

After a little drive, they arrived at the condos. Tessa looked at Mariah and said where's this? Well, I've been a bit cheeky and brought you to your new place. Do you want to go in and check it out? Why not! Do you have Keys? No! But there is a doorman apparently who has some and I have it on good authority that he is expecting us. She smiled. Tessa gasped. Well Miss Copeland you don't hang around, do you? Mariah turned bright red and said No. 

The condo was a bit chilly when they walked in. The doorman had said they would have to turn the aircon on for a while to heat the place then he handed over the keys. Tessa was transfixed to the spot, not knowing what to do.  She was just looking around the room. It had a sofa bed a kitchen and beyond was a shower room with a toilet and washbasin. Outside one of the windows was a little veranda which was the fire escape. She could not believe her friend had done all this for her.

"Hello" Mariah was laughing. Where did you go? I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you as my friend. Well come on we need to go. It's chilly in here and it needs to warm up. Let's go and get your car and visit a store on the way back, so we can get some wine and a few bits you're going to need and then come back.

"Mariah"  What? I can't afford too much, and also how much is this condo going to cost me? Don't worry about that. When I sign you it will cover everything. Do you still want to sign me ?? Yes, why wouldn't I? Oh, I don't know I just thought you had gone off the idea. Tessa, don't you realize how good you are?  I would be mad to pass up the opportunity to have you on our books. Hell Abby already wants you at Society on a regular bases. 

Come on let's go. I'll put all the stuff you need on the business account and you can pay it back in installments once you have a regular income if it bothers you? Tessa grabbed Mariah in a bear hug. Oh boy, they both thought this feels so good. Once they had let go they headed for the shops.

After two hours or so they were back at the condo. Which was now nice and toasty.  They had bought bedding a throw, towels, some food to fill the shelves and some milk, etc for the fridge. Mariah watched as Tessa put everything away and saw how happy she was. I'll sleep soundly tonight she thought knowing she was safe and not sleeping in her car.

Right well, I'd better go she said I have work in the morning. Tessa looked at her with a sad face. Awe I was hoping we could manage a little toast. If I drink any more I will be over the top said, Mariah.  Look how about I pop over after work tomorrow? I'll bring dinner. That would be great said Tessa. She hugged Mariah and kissed her on the cheek before she left.